If your department already uses Google Analytics, please do the following to view the reports for your site.
- You must request access from whomever is in charge of your department's Google Analytics account. This would typically be your Web developer. Provide them with your full name and the e-mail address you wish to use for your Google Analytics account. This would usually be your USD e-mail address.
- If you do not already have a Google Account associated with this e-mail address, you must create one that is. You will need to wait until you receive a verification e-mail from Google, and then follow the link in that e-mail to verify that this is your e-mail address.
- Once you log in, you will be presented with a menu listing all the profiles you have access to. Simply click on "View Reports" to access the Dashboard for your site.
- The Dashboard displays a summary of statistics, but detailed information is available through the left-hand menu. Please see below for suggestions on which data may be most relevant for your use.
Tips and Caveats
- On the main reports page, the dates selected are displayed in the upper-right corner. Use the arrow to drop down a menu, you can select the date range you'd like to display. Some statistics will also allow you to view hourly statistics (e.g. to see your hours of peak traffic) in addition to daily stats.
- Site tracking will by default include on-campus traffic. This means anyone from within USD, including Web site maintainers that repeatedly visit their own sites to check their work, will show up in the statistics. If you are chiefly concerned with off-campus usage (e.g. recruitment), you should ask your Web developer to exclude on-campus traffic.
- If you are a department within a school that wishes to have your specific home page tracked, you may request to have a separate profile created for it. However, the tracking will be limited to the home page only. The remaining pages will be tracked using the main profile for your Google Analytics account.
- If you do not wish to view live updates, you can schedule periodic e-mails to be sent to you and others. On the Dashboard page, directly beneath the word Dashboard, are two text labels: "Export" and "Email." Export allows you to save the report as a PDF or XML file. Email will allow you to schedule periodic e-mails of the report.
- On the left-hand menu is a section called Content, and within that menu is an item called Site Overlay. This selection will open a new window of your site with statistics overlaid on top of each link.
- The statistics are unique to each page, and it allows you to see what percentage of clicks each link on the page receives. If you hover over the link, it will also tell you the actual number of clicks.
- Be careful about text size, as overly large text size can obscure decimal points.
- If you have multiple links to the same page on one page (e.g. linked text and linked images) both links will display the same statistics. There is no way to tell which item was clicked on to get to the destination page.
- The following will show up as 0 percent (except under special cases) because they cannot currently be tracked: e-mail links, off-site links, video files, audio files, and documents of any kind (e.g. PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- There is a function to determine where your traffic is coming from. This is useful to see the effectiveness of regional marketing or recruiting. On the left-hand menu is a section called Visitors, and within that menu is an item called Map Overlay. This selection will create a map showing where your visitors are coming from. Underneath the map is a link that allow you to show statistics for specific cities.
- City tracking is not always accurate and should only be considered an estimate.
Information Technology Services
University Center 117
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 260-7900
Help Desk at University Center 117
- Monday - Thursday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Friday: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday - CLOSED (Limited Phone Support)
Torero Store Help Desk
- Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday - CLOSED
Copley Library Help Desk
- Monday - Thursday: 3 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Friday - Sunday - CLOSED