(Also known as eGate, Network Connect, Virtual Private Network)
Virtual Private Networking, or VPN, is a networking tool that allows off campus users to securely connect to the USD network. When you use a VPN program, your computer will have access to the same computer resources that you have on campus. This allows a private, secure connection to USD resources from almost anywhere in the world, including home, many hotels, and from other corporate networks. If you are a staff or faculty member who does work off campus, you might need a VPN account to access USD computer resources.
eGate is the name of USD’s VPN server. These terms are used interchangeably by USD.
Users must request a VPN account in advance. Once you have an account, you can access VPN on Windows devices (using Windows XP or newer), OS X devices (using OS X 10.5 or newer), and iOS devices (using the latest version of Junos Pulse).
Data security restrictions
An eGate/VPN connection creates a private and secure (encrypted) connection to the University Network, therefore it may be used to transmit confidential and restricted information that would normally be prohibited with a public Internet connection.
For VPN assistance, please submit requests to the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com or call (619) 260-7900.
(1) Complete the online form: www.sandiego.edu/documents/its/staff_faculty_user_registration_form.pdf
(2) Once the registration form is competed, please print it out and have your supervisor/dean sign it.
(3) Please return this form to Network Services, Maher Hall 170, Fax: (619) 849-8310.
(4) You will be contacted when the account is established and training will be provided at the ITS Help Desk.
(5) Once access has been given, you can visit egate.sandiego.edu to log in and start the VPN client.
Instructions for VPN Access from off-campus: www.sandiego.edu/its/helpdesk/kb/7866
VPN Knowledge Base Articles
- Connecting an iOS device (iPad, iPhone) to eGate VPN
- Instructions for installing Pulse for VPN access on Windows
- Instructions for installing Pulse for VPN access on Macintosh
- How-to access office computers remotely from off campus using VPN (eGate)
- Why am I experiencing slow speeds accessing Advance over VPN from home?
- Why am I unable to access VPN (eGate) since upgrading to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)?