What is Phishing?
Phishing is an attempt to obtain personal and/or financial information from an individual through the use of e-mail links or pop-up boxes. These methods are often designed to look like they come from an "official" source in an attempt to trick the individual into providing sensitive data.
What should I know?
A legitimate institution will never ask you for any of the following information through any form of electronic communication:
- your MySanDiego username and password,
- your e-mail address and password,
- your computer password,
- your Social Security Number,
- your mother's maiden name,
- your bank account information, or
- your bank PIN code.
Signs You May Have Received a Phishing Email:
- Unofficial "From" email address
- Urgent action required - examples: "Your account be locked out if you don't update your password", "Your account needs attention", "Your account has been compromised"
- Generic greeting - examples: "Dear member, Dear Customer.
- Link to Fake website - always hover over the link to see the actual website address. (see video below for more examples)
- Legitimate links mixed with fake links - examples: university.sandiego.edu is a fake link vs. the legit link sandiego.edu
Examples of Phishing emails:
Report a phishing attempt
If you receive an e-mail requesting information from you and are unsure of the legitimacy of the e-mail, do not respond to the e-mail. Report any concerns to: email@example.com or call us at x7900
You can also report phishing e-mails to the Anti-Phishing Working Group, a volunteer organization that maintains a repository of phishing scam e-mails and Web sites to help people identify and avoid being scammed in the future.
Information Technology Services
University Center 117
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 260-7900
Help Desk at University Center 117
- Monday - Thursday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Friday: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday - CLOSED (Limited Phone Support)
Torero Store Help Desk
- Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday - CLOSED
Copley Library Help Desk
- Monday - Thursday: 3 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Friday - Sunday - CLOSED