- USD has a comprehensive site license for Norton’s Symantec virus protection software, for Windows and Macintosh. Download it free here (MySanDiego login required): Virus Updates
- For Windows XP and Windows Vista: Windows Defender from Microsoft
- For Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later: ProtectMac AntiVirus 1.1.1 from Apple
- Free Anti-Virus Tools from Trend Micro USA
- Social Networking Safety Tips (PDF).
- Mobile Safety Tips (PDF).
- Five ways to keep laptop thieves from jacking your data from Ars Technica.
- Cyber Security Tips for Non-Technical Users from US-CERT (United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team).
- Tips and Tools for Avoiding Online Identity Theft from phishinginfo.org.
- The United States Department of Justice's Identity Theft Web site.
- The Federal Trade Commision's Identity Theft Web site.
Protect Yourself Against Malware and Spyware
- Links to Free Security Check-Ups from staysafeonline.org.
- What to do if you suspect that malware has been installed on your computer: Malware from OnGuard Online.
- File a complaint about spyware on your computer with the FTC.
Phishing (E-mail Scams)
- Identifying a Phish (PDF) by University of San Diego Information Technology Services.
- Top Ten Tips for Finding a Phish (PDF) by MailFrontier.
- How to Help Protect Yourself by the Anti-Phishing Working Group.
- Report Phishing to the Anti-Phishing Working Group.