eGate is the name of USD’s VPN server. Virtual Private Networking, or VPN, is a networking tool that allows off-campus users to have a private and secure connection to the USD network via the Internet from a single host. USD's VPN service allows USD users to connect to the campus from any available network connection almost anywhere including from home, from many hotels, and even from within some company networks. If you are a staff or faculty member who does work off campus, you might need a VPN account to access USD computer resources.
Staff, Faculty only
(1) When using VPN, your off-campus computer is dynamically assigned a USD IP address to connect back to the USD network
(2) A USD IP address allows you access to USD computing resources and certain campus services (e.g., departmental file and print servers)
An active USD LDAP account (or MySanDiego account).
Data security restrictions
An eGate/VPN connection creates a private and secure (encrypted) connection to the University Network, therefore it may be used to transmit confidential and restricted information that would normally be prohibited with a public Internet connection.
How to use
Use for access to systems such as Banner INB, Noetix, Cognos, Network Shares, printing to a departmental (networked) printer, remote Desktop to another work computer, and USD internal access only servers
For eGate/VPN assistance, please submit requests to the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com or call (619) 260-7900.
(1) Complete the online form: www.sandiego.edu/documents/its/staff_faculty_user_registration_form.pdf
(2) Once the registration form is competed, please print it out and have your supervisor/dean sign it.
(3) Please return this form to Network Services, Maher Hall 170, Fax: (619) 849-8310.
(4) You will be contacted when the account is established and training will be provided at the ITS Helpdesk.
(5) Once access has been given, you can visit egate.sandiego.edu to log in and start the VPN client.
Instructions for VPN Access from off-campus: www.sandiego.edu/its/helpdesk/kb/7866