Outlook Web App (OWA) provides two distinctly different interfaces, Premium or Light, depending on the version number of the browser you use to access it.
Screenshot of the OWA Premium interface
The Premium interface comes closest to replicating the actual Microsoft Office Outlook experience, with some right-click functionality and access to the full feature set.
Requirements for the Premium interface
You receive the Premium interface when you are using Internet Explorer 7 and above, Firefox 3 and above, Safari 3 on a Mac, and Google Chrome 5 and above.
Screenshot of the OWA Light interface
Requirements for the Light interface
You receive the Light interface when you are not using one of the browsers or browser versions listed in the premium interface section above, or you have enabled the "Blind and low vision experience" option in OWA.
Features missing in Light interface
The following features of OWA Premium are not present in Light:
- The Tasks module
- Task-specific properties: Only the text of the task items can be read through OWA Light.
- HTML composing of messages: OWA Light users get only plain text textboxes with no editing or formatting options.
- Flags and Categories
- Monthly or weekly view in Calendar: OWA Light shows the daily view only.
- Free/Busy grid in Appointment/Meeting Scheduling Assistant: OWA Light users get only "Suggested Times".
- Spell Check
- Conversation View
- Account Storage information
- Recover Deleted Items
- Add/edit distribution lists
- Public Folder access
- S/MIME features
- Add/edit rules
(Content used with permission of Indiana University. You can find the original at http://kb.iu.edu/data/avsg.html. Some information is also from Microsoft Outlook Help concerning supported e-mail programs and features and Exchange 2010: OWA versus OWA Light.)
Related Knowledge Base Articles
- USD Retirement Policy regarding e-mail and internet access for retired employees
- Basic/Light version of Outlook Web App loads in Internet Explorer 11
- Connecting an iPhone to Microsoft Exchange
- Requesting an Exchange account for a student employee
- Exchange Email - How to Change Your Password
- How to setup an iPad to Exchange
- How-to forward Exchange email account to another account
- When I email another sandiego.edu address from Exchange, I get an error with a long email address
- How to manage Junk Email on Exchange
- Share and open calendars in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013
- Configuring Outlook 2013 for Exchange
- In OWA, how do I disable or enable conversation view?
- Setting up a Blackberry to check Exchange