Occassionally users will get an error saying "Initializing Root Folder: initializing root folder to display." This error occurs particularly when trying to use save or save as in Word and Excel. This problem is related to the network shared drive connections.
Please use the following steps to resolve this problem:
- Disconnect all network drives by right clicking on 'My Computer' and selecting 'Disconnect Network Drive'. Select all network drives listed and click 'Okay' to disconnect.
- Go to the start menu and log off of the computer.
- At the prompt, log back into the computer. This should resolve the problem.
Related Knowledge Base Articles
- Network Storage
- Backup and Recovery Service (Servers)
- Tape Storage
- Personal Home Drive
- USD Mapped Drives release notes
- Faculty Network Storage
- My Network drives are missing or access is denied? What can I do?
- How can I get access to my department's shared drive?
- How do I connect to my shared drives on a Mac?
Information Technology Services
University Center 117
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 260-7900
Help Desk at University Center 117
- Monday - Thursday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Friday: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday - CLOSED
- Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Saturday - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday - CLOSED