NOTE: These instructions are for upgrading Office for Windows ONLY. This will uninstall old versions of Microsoft Office.
- Make sure you're not running Office 2016 already. You can check your version by following Microsoft's instructions for checking your Office version.
- If you use any of these programs, please make sure the minimum supported version is installed:
Acrobat Pro: Minimum version is Acrobat Pro 11 (XI). Read more here.
Act!: Minimum version is Act! v16, though Act! 2016 can work with some exceptions. Read more here.
- Save any open documents you have and close all Microsoft Office programs. Your computer might automatically reboot during this process.
- From on campus, open Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome. Visit http://kbox.sandiego.edu
- You will be prompted for a username and password. Type your Active Directory (AD) username and password (the same username/password as your Exchange email). Click on Login.
If you are unable to login, please contact the ITS Help Desk at (619) 260-7900 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let the Help Desk staff know that you were unable to login to self-install MS Office 2016.
- Click on Downloads in the left-hand menu. Then, click on "WIN - Office 2016 Pro Plus".
If the Office 2016 Pro Plus link is not listed or you receive a No software titles currently found message, please contact the ITS Help Desk at (619) 260-7900 or email@example.com.
- At the next screen, click on the Install Now button.
- Disregard the next window, which lists Software Download Activity.
- For approximately 3 minutes (longer if you're on wireless), it will appear that nothing is happening. However, your computer is downloading MS Office 2016 silently in the background.
- When the MS Office 2016 download is complete, the installation progress window will appear. You do not need to click anything - the installation process is completely automated.
- Once the installation is successfully installed, a window will confirm its completion. Click the Close button.
While the self-service portal does not currently exist for Mac computers, if you have a Mac computer and have upgraded Office, you will want to import your user data from Outlook 2011 to Outlook 2016. Instructions on how to do so can be found here.
Related Knowledge Base Articles
- Fonts displaying incorrectly after updating to Internet Explorer 11
- Informational: Microsoft's Software Assurance Home Use Program (HUP)
- DreamSpark (formally MSDN AA)
- E-mail going to outbox without sending
- Cannot attach files to emails when using Microsoft Edge
- Office 2010 Quickstart Guides (attached)
- How to Import Outlook for Mac 2011 User Data for Outlook 2016 for Mac
- How-to Create a Mail Merge in Office 2003 & 2007
- How-to show Outlook 2003 & 2007 Public Folder Calendar Favorites
- "Adobe Contribute" add-on problem with Office 2010/2013
- Can I use the OWA for iPad/iPhone application?
- Can the ITS Help Desk Install Office Suite on my computer?
- Does USD provide Microsoft Office for students?
Information Technology Services
University Center 117
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 260-7900
Help Desk at University Center 117
- Monday - Thursday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Friday: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday - CLOSED
- Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Saturday - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday - CLOSED