We believe each employee makes an important contribution to the university community with talents and expertise that are unique and valuable to the institution. We are dedicated to providing support to individuals and departments, through learning opportunities, to cultivate their talent and leadership skills so they can better serve the institution in its mission.
The Department of Human Resources recognizes that there are multiple learning styles and that by providing flexibility and support to employees and faculty, through training & development programs, we can all benefit from the skill development of our community. Our goal is to provide learning opportunities in a variety of formats, and support the demonstration of skills and development to show how it can benefit the community at large.
Some ways the Department of Human Resources provides support to help cultivate and develop talent are as follows:
- Create a sense of community through New Employee Orientation that explains the institution’s mission, vision, values and goals and how the employee’s role at the institution helps the community accomplish its goals. This orientation also provides information on institutional policies, applicable laws and benefits so that employees are in possession of the knowledge tools that will help them be successful in their position.
- Provide employees with relevant learning opportunities that focus on the enhancement of existing skills and acquisition of new skills, including technical, business and leadership skills, to allow them to adjust to ever changing work situations and enhance individual and group productivity.
- Support employees in the demonstration of skills learned and relating these to the department and university goals.
- Prepare personnel for increased or new responsibilities, including Leadership Academy programs which will lead to better communication and understanding, a humane work environment, and increased productivity.
- Promote diversity on campus through training opportunities and cultural awareness addressed in learning opportunities.
The training and development provided through the Department of Human Resources supports the university’s mission through expansion of staff and faculty knowledge, promoting diversity and inclusion, and cultivating the leadership qualities in all staff members. We recognize that all employees have unique contributions to make to the institution and are here to support these positive efforts.