We want all of our new employees to have a positive and memorable experience on their first day. There are two things that great supervisors do on an employee’s first day to ensure success for the future:
- Bring them to the Department of Human Resources (Maher 101) to make sure they submit/get everything they need to officially “hire” them as an employee.
- Make their first day special.
When the employee arrives, bring them to Human Resources. We will:
- Assist them in completing the required new hire forms:
- Confidential Employee Data Form
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Form and Instructions
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Form and Instructions in Spanish
- Form W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Form
- Enter their data into the HR database so that they can get the necessary access to offices, parking, computer applications, and so that they can get paid.
- Walk them through the New Hire Checklist.
After the employee has been to Human Resources, supervisors should:
- Complete the Staff/Faculty AD & Oracle Self Service User Registration Form to request computer access and so that the employee can sign up for benefits. Submit the completed form to Maher Hall, Room 170.
- Take the employee to get their USD ID card at the Campus Card Office, in the University Center.
- Obtain a parking permit (http://my.sandiego.edu or Parking Services in Hughes Administration Center).
- Help them register for their USD email address (http://my.sandiego.edu)
- Communicate your expectations as a supervisor.
- Complete the items on the Supervisor Checklist
Here are some ideas for making your employee’s first day special:
- Bring donuts or bagels on their first day to celebrate.
- Give him/her flowers.
- Have everyone in the department write a greeting card.
- Have people in the department write individual notes and decorate the new employee’s desk or work area.
- Take him/her to lunch.
This is your chance to make a great first impression. Show them that USD values them and that we are glad they are here.