General Directions for Posting a Vacancy for an Open Position
When you have a vacant position that you want to post so that people can begin applying, there are a few initial steps to follow:
- Submit a Department Action Form to the Department of Human Resources indicating the current employee that is leaving the position.
- Submit the following to your budget authority and then to the Department of Human Resources:
- The Personnel Requisition form.
- A current job description.
- If you are posting an administrator position within the Provost division, you will also need an Authorization to Recruit Form.
Once we receive this paperwork, an Employment Services Representative will:
- Assist in receiving any additional necessary approvals.
- Develop an appropriate recruitment strategy with you for the position
- Department only – To be posted/accessed through Oracle self service; only “regular” status employees in the department will be able to apply for the position. The minimum posting period is 3 business days.
- Post on campus (includes USD website) – To be posted on USD’s website; all USD employees and external applicants will be able to apply for the position. The minimum posting period is 5 calendar days.
- Advertise externally - To be posted on USD’s website and any requested external site, please submit a completed Recruitment Plan Template to your Employment Services Coordinator. The minimum posting period is 5 calendar days; however we recommend at least 2 weeks.
- Prepare a draft copy of the job posting through iRecruitment and, after obtaining approvals from the hiring manager and Budget and Treasury, post it on requested advertising sites (if applicable).
It is the hiring manager’s responsibility to verify that a candidate meets the minimum qualifications before selecting a candidate. We also recommend that hiring managers review the applicant’s answers to the assessment questionnaire attached to their application to identify and evaluate any previous criminal convictions whenever the offenses are “directly” or substantially related to the job in question.
There are a number of ways that the Employment Services Team can provide additional support in the hiring process. Please contact an Employment Services Coordinator Representative to request any of the following services:
- Preliminary Screening of Applications
- Skills assessment on software applications that are relevant to the job
- Interview Scheduling
If you have any questions, please contact our Employment Services Team: Bree Moore, Employment Services Manager, at ext. 6806 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Amy Gregory, Employment Services Coordinator, at ext. 2725 or email@example.com or Leah Harris, at ext. 2770 or firstname.lastname@example.org.