Selecting a Candidate to Hire
When you have selected the candidate you would like to hire:
- Call the candidate’s references. Two professional references are required. At least one should be a former supervisor. Click here for sample reference questions.
- Have the selected candidate complete the Pre-Offer Candidate Information Release Authorization form (if necessary)
- Submit the following to your budget authority and then to the Department of Human Resources:
- The Proposal to Hire Form with the highlighted portions completed.
- The candidate’s application
- Reference check information that was retained
Note: A job offer cannot be made to the candidate until the Department of Human Resources has had an opportunity to collect and review all paperwork to ensure that appropriate approvals, minimum qualifications, background check and other regulations have been fulfilled.
Once we receive the Proposal to Hire, we will:
- Verify the following information:
- The candidate chosen meets the minimum job qualifications (according to the current job description).
- That the proposed pay is within the appropriate range and that there are no internal equity concerns.
- That references were obtained by the hiring department.
- That any additional necessary budget/employment approvals.
- Make a contingent offer to the selected candidate or authorize the hiring manager to make the contingent offer directly. All offers will be made contingent on the completion of the background check and education verification. Click here for Background Check Information.
- Prepare the new employee paperwork and schedule New Employee, Benefits and Safety Orientations.
Non-Benefit Based Temporary Positions
If you are hiring for a temporary non-benefit based position, once you have selected the candidate you want to hire:
- Complete the Personnel Requisition Form; be sure to list an assignment end date. Get appropriate budget approval. The Budget Administrator or other authorized hiring authority will initiate the background check. Click here for Background Check Information.
- Once the background check is initiated, submit the form to the Department of Human Resources for processing. HR will notify the hiring department when the background check is completed.
- Bring the employee to the Department of Human Resources (Maher 101) on their first day to complete all required new hire paperwork.
- Schedule the employee for the next quarterly "Introduction to USD" Orientation by contacting the Training and Development team at email@example.com or ext. 6619.
If you are considering hiring an employee that is under 18 years of age, click here for information on hiring minors.
If you are hiring a student worker or federal work study student, please click here for important information on hiring or rehiring student workers. You can give a copy of this document to the employee to guide them through the process as well.
To hire a student worker (not federal work study), the hiring manager should follow the same steps listed above for Non-Benefit Based Temporary Positions.
To hire a federal work study student, the hiring manager must coordinate with the Student Employment Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to gain approval to participate in this program.If you are considering hiring an employee that is under 18 years of age, click here for information on hiring minors.