Solutions to Homelessness in San Diego
This event occurred in the past
Date and Time
Thursday, February 23, 2012 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre
According to the San Diego Regional Task Force on the Homeless 2011’s report, more than 9,000 people in San Diego are without permanent shelter. The University of San Diego will be hosting a forum entitled "Solutions to Homelessness in San Diego," that will explore possible solutions to this widespread social issue.
- Rebecca Benner, project specialist, Foster Youth and Homeless Education Services of the San Diego County Office of Education
- Rick Gentry, president and CEO of San Diego Housing Commission
- Pamela Hosmer, foster and homeless liaison, Office of Children and Youth in Transition of the San Diego Unified School District
- Phil Landis, president and CEO, Veterans Village of San Diego
- Patricia Leslie, facilitator of the Regional Continuum of Care Council, associate professor of Sociology and Social Work, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Jennifer Litwak, manager of projects and development, of the Regional Task Force on the Homeless
- Brian Maienschein, commissioner of Plan to End Chronic Homelessness, United Way of San Diego
- Simonne Ruff, San Diego director of the Corporation for Supportive Housing
- Teresa Smith, director and co-founder of Dreams for Change
This event is open to the public. We ask that attendees submit questions in advance so we can better address the community's concerns about homelessness. Those wishing to attend the free event should RSVP and submit questions to the Center for Inclusion and Diversity at email@example.com.
Attendees are also asked to bring a canned good or non-perishable food item to support the homeless.
In conjunction with the forum, USD is hosting talented photographer Bear Guerra’s the "(In)Visible Project," a multimedia installation using creative visual and audio components to paint an intimate and dignified human portrait of San Diego’s homeless population. The free exhibit runs continuously in the Plaza Minor in front of USD’s Student Life Pavilion February 13 - 25.