Employment at the University of San Diego is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Effective July 1, 2012, all first-time student employees at the University of San Diego must complete a background check before the offer of employment is finalized.
New students who have not been awarded Federal Work-Study:
• Apply for a job on campus. Information about campus departments that have non-Work-Study student positions appears on the Student employment page of the office of Financial Aid's section of the USD web site, under the heading "Casual Workers".
• When you find a job, the supervisor will make a contingent job offer pending the successful completion of the background check.
• After you accept the contingent job offer, the hiring supervisor or other authorized hiring authority will provide your USD email address to USD’s background screening vendor, Truescreen, Inc., to initiate the background check.
• You will receive an email from Truescreen’s Application Station, directing you to their online portal to create a secure account. Sign in and follow the online instructions to authorize your background check.
• The contingent offer may be finalized once the background investigation has been completed and the results accepted by the university. The student employee’s first day of work can then be established.
New students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study as part of their Financial Aid Award
• Apply for a Federal Work-Study position. Information about available FWS positions will be posted on the Student Employment page of the USD web site on August 1, 2012. You are encouraged to apply for open positions prior to arriving on campus.
• Check your USD email account in early August for an email from Truescreen’s Application Station. New students who have submitted the FWS Request form by August 1 will receive an email in early August, directing them to the online portal maintained by USD’s background screening vendor, Truescreen, Inc. The email will be sent to the student’s USD email account.
• Create your secure account, sign in and follow the online instructions to authorize your background check. You may apply for positions, but may not begin working, before completion of your background check and all new employee forms (see below).
• Any questions regarding the background check should be directed to the USD Office of Human Resources (Phone: 619-260-4594).
NEW EMPLOYEE FORMS
All new student employees are required to complete new employee forms: I-9, W-4, and Confidential Employee Data. Federal law requires that you complete Form I-9 and present the required original document(s) for visual inspection on or before your first day of work.
- You may review all three forms through the Human Resources web site at: http://www.sandiego.edu/administration/businessadmin/humanresources/employment/forms.php. A list of documents acceptable for completion of the Form I-9 appears on page 5 of that form. Review the list and bring the required documents with you on or before your first day of work.
- Discuss the W-4 form, for tax withholding, with your parents or a tax advisor on or before your first day of work.
• Current student employees who are already employed on campus prior to July 1, 2012 are not subject to a background check.
• Previous student employees who are returning to work after a break of one (1) year or less will not be subject to another background investigation unless requested by the hiring authority or Human Resources.
A more detailed description of the background check implementation process is available on the Human Resources web site at: