The Student Employment Center (SEC) assists University of San Diego students seeking part-time employment on or off campus. Over 500 students are employed on campus under the Federal Work-Study/College Work Opportunity Program. Other students are employed on campus as Casual Workers by the departments in which they work. There are also USD students who choose to work off campus in positions posted by local employers through the USD Job Location and Development Program in the Student Employment Center.
Background Check Requirement for First-Time USD Student Employees
Effective July 1, 2012, background checks are required for all new employees of the University of San Diego, including student employees. All first-time student employees of the University of San Diego must complete a background check before the offer of employment is finalized. See more details.
Federal Work-Study (FWS)/College Work Opportunity (CWO)
The Federal Work-Study/College Work Opportunity Program is a need-based student employment program. To be employed under FWS/CWO, you must apply for Financial Aid by filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and be offered FWS/CWO as part of your Financial Aid Award. Students who have applied for Financial Aid and were not awarded Federal Work-Study/College Work Opportunity may submit the Federal Work-Study Wait List Form and will be awarded if funds remain and the eligibility criteria are met.
- To find out if you are eligible to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program at USD, please visit the Student Employment Center in Hughes Center 313 or call (619) 260-4801. FWS positions offer the opportunity to work in various academic, administrative, and recreation-oriented offices.
- Most students work 10-15 hours per week, with a maximum of 25 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters set by university policy.
- If you have been offered Federal Work-Study as part of your financial aid award, please review this important information about the hiring process and the list of departments that hire students who have been awarded FWS. Click here for more details.
- 2015 Summer College Work Opportunity Application
- 2014-2015 FWS Job Board A-D
- 2014-2015 FWS Job Board E-M
- 2014-2015 FWS Job Board N-W
- 2014-2015 FWS Wait List Form
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Guide for Supervisors of USD Students Employed Under the Federal Work-Study Program
- A Guide for USD Student Employees
- How to Make Sure you get your Paycheck
Several departments on campus hire students who have not been awarded Federal Work-Study. Most students work 10-15 hours per week, with a maximum of 25 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters set by university policy. If there is a particular location in which you would like to work, you may contact the department directly to see if they have any openings for Casual Workers. Some of the departments that regularly hire students as Casual Workers include:
- USD Torero Store: (619) 260-4551
- Telefunding: (619) 260-4754
- Dining Services: (619) 260-8880
- Banquets and Catering: (619) 260-4560
- Information Technology—Tech Support Center: (619) 260-7900
The Student Employment Center maintains a Job Board of part-time positions in the hallway outside Hughes Center 313. Employment opportunities in the areas of office assistance, tutoring, childcare and more are posted and updated regularly. Contact information for the positions is available in the Student Employment Center.
All jobs are posted at the discretion of the USD Student Employment Center. We will not post jobs that appear to discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, disabled or Vietnam Veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, or gender. The Student Employment Center also reserves the right to refuse to post jobs that do not support the interests of students at the University of San Diego.
The USD Student Employment Center resources are provided free of charge to both students and employers. All hiring and compensation for work performed by the student employee is handled directly between the student and the employer. The USD Student Employment Center does not perform background checks on students applying for jobs, nor on employers posting job opportunities. Employers and students are encouraged to request reference information from each other as needed to establish qualifications and credentials.
The University of San Diego acts only as a referral service, and makes no representation or guarantee about positions listed by the Student Employment Center. USD is not responsible for safety, working conditions, wages or other aspects of the student’s employment. Due to the volume of jobs received by this office, we are unable to research the integrity of each organization or person that lists a job with us. The student is advised to use caution and common sense when applying for any position with an organization or private party.
Prospective employers wishing to post a job description should email or call the Student Employment Center to request Job Posting forms.
- Phone: (619) 260-4801
- Location: Hughes Administration Center – Room 313 (open 9 am to 4 pm, M-F)
- Email: email@example.com