How to Apply for Scholarships
Where can I find outside scholarships?
- University of San Diego Office of Financial Aid
- Local library
- High School Counselor
- Religious organizations
- Professional organizations
- Scholarship Search Engines
How to Obtain an Application
- Send a letter of inquiry to the organization for more information about the specific scholarship (Sample letter of inquiry)
- Visit the organization’s website (They may have an application available to download)
Organize your Scholarship Applications
- Buy separate folders for each individual scholarship
- Make a list for each folder of the materials that need to be included along with the application
- Make copies of the application before you fill it out in case you make any mistakes.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Make note of every deadline to ensure that it is submitted on time. Apply early if possible.
The Scholarship Application
- READ IT CAREFULLY!
- Follow the directions and do not leave any spaces blank.
- Only include important information about yourself – cater each application to the organization.
- Type your answers on the application if possible.
- Make a copy of the whole application, prior to sending it, for your own records.
- Double check that everything is filled out correctly.
- If you are mailing the application, go to the post office and send it as certified mail or receipt mail to ensure its delivery.
- Monitor your On Line Presence!
According to a survey of scholarship granting organizations, about a quarter of scholarship providers evaluate the online presence of finalists before selecting which students will win scholarships. View the full article.