Please note that the red flags on the MySanDiego portal for the Federal Direct Loan records for the 2013/14 academic year will not be updated until mid-July if all requirements have been completed. This includes applications, Entrance Loan Counseling, and Master Promissory Notes (MPN).
All students and parents who wish to borrow through the Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Student, PLUS and Graduate PLUS loan programs will be required to apply for their loans through the Department of Education at www.StudentLoans.gov.
Loan Information 2013-2014
- 2013-2014 Additional Federal Direct Parent PLUS Information and Instructions
- 2013-2014 Information and Instructions for Parents Intending to Share the PLUS Loan eligibility
- 2013-2014 Options When the PLUS Credit is Denied
- 2013-2014 Private Alternative Loan Information and Instructions
- 2014 Intersession Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Information and Instructions
Federal Sequestration Changes to the Title IV Student Aid Programs
On August 2, 2011, Congress passed the Budget Control Act (BCA) of 2011, which put into place an automatic process of “across-the-board” Federal budget cuts. The changes to the Title IV Student Aid Program were scheduled to take effect on March 1, 2013, with more changes to be placed throughout the year. The following information is meant to notify borrowers of the fee increase to the Direct Loan program.
- Any Direct Loans which were processed and have received the first disbursement where the funds posted to the student’s account before December 1, 2013, will not see a change to the fee rate on that particular loan.
- Loans processed with a first disbursement on or after December 1, 2013, will be created with the new loan fee rate.
- Any loans which were initially created before November 20, 2013, but have yet to receive the first disbursement due to missing requirements will have the loan cancelled and re-created with the new loan fee rate.
- PLUS loans that are credit-approved with an endorser and have yet to disburse will be cancelled. The credit approval process for both the borrower and endorser will need to begin again with the credit application and new MPN on www.studentloans.gov.
In an effort to assist borrowers with pending first disbursements scheduled before December 1, 2013, this information is being circulated via the MySanDiego portal and e-mail.
If there are questions regarding this notice, please contact the One Stop Student Services Center located in UC-125 or stop by the Office of Financial Aid in Hughes 319.
Loan Fee Changes
Fee for loans with first disbursement prior to
Fee for loans with first disbursement on or after
December 1, 2013
DL Parent/Graduate PLUS
- Federal Direct Loan Information for Students
- Federal Direct Loan Information for Parents
- General Information - Parent PLUS Loan
- General Information - Federal Graduate Student PLUS Loan
- USD Code of Conduct for Education Loans
For More Information
- Overview of Direct Loan, FFEL Program Repayment Plans and Direct Loan Consolidation
- Direct Loan Consolidation
- Top 10 Student Loan Tips for Recent Graduates
- Tracking Your Private Loan Before Disbursement
- Track Your Federal Loan Balance (NSLDS)
- Credit Card and Money Management
- Opt Out of Student Loan Solicitations
- Student Loan Ombudsman The Student Loan Ombudsman's office provides conflict resolution to student loan problems not resolved through interaction with the lender, servicer, or guarantor. State Ombudsman 916-526-8024
Federal Ombudsman 877-557-2575
- Private/Non Federal Loan Application Instructions
- Private Loan Self Certification Form
This Private Education Loan Application Self-Certification is provided for student use only in the event that you lost or misplaced the form that your lender provided. Complete and sign the form returning it to your respective lender as soon as possible. Your lender will not disburse loan funds until the completed form is returned to them