Leadership Coaching encompasses many elements of executive and life coaching as it offers a continuum of skills that provides a holistic approach to coaching. Leadership coaching overlaps with the roles of executive and life coaching in the manner in which it addresses how the profession of coaching helps leaders in the following ways:
- Equips coaches to work with leaders in a variety of organizational settings
- Offers coaches a process to support leaders in examining their roles and experiences
- Develops the capacity of the coach to work with underlying dynamics in organizations related to authority, power and influence
- Examines ways to enhance leadership effectiveness professionally and personally
- Links the self in relationship to leadership, followership, influence, motivation, and communication
- Provides a broad knowledge of leadership fundamentals and practices that support organizational effectiveness
- Reaches beyond the individual and considers a more holistic and systemic approach that involves stakeholders and the broader society
Board Certified Coach (BCC) Program Approval
The USD Leadership Coaching Certificate Program has been approved for 96-128 training hours toward the BCC credential. Successful completion of this certificate will make students eligible for the BCC Credential. Students must submit the Certificate in Leadership Coaching with the BCC application packet. For more information about BCC certification please visit: www.cce-global.org
Program Completion Requirements:
- All required (7) courses and (1) workshop
- Required readings and assignments for all courses (approximately 2 hours of homework for each instructional hour)
- Two coaching clients to meet for one-hour per month
- Additional completion of online assignments (approximately 3-hours per month)
In addition to in-class instruction hours, required readings and assignments, all students will be required to have contracted two coaching clients upon completion of the second course of the certificate program series, Developing Your Coaching Voice. Each client engagement should consist of one hour per month, documenting each engagement in the Coaching Experience Log. All engagements will receive peer-to-peer supervision in addition to oversight by the Leadership Coaching Supervisors. The purpose of the monthly external coaching engagement hours is to build each student’s capacity for the Leadership Coaching Practicum course and readiness for the Board Certified Coach (BCC) exam.
*All students must hold a bachelor’s degree in order to participate in the program.
Alumni of USD from a variety of degree programs are welcome to apply and will receive discounts for enrolling. Special consideration will be given to leaders from underrepresented populations and smaller charitable and nonprofit organizations that seek the coaching certificate.