San Diego Gang Prevention/Intervention Summit
This event occurred in the past
Date and Time
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice
The Gang Summit is a county-wide event sponsored by the City of San Diego Commission on Gang Prevention and Intervention, University of San Diego's Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies, San Diego County Office of Education, Mano A Mano Foundation, the Leichtag Family Foundation, and the Bravo Foundation.
The summit brings together city policymakers, community and school-based leaders and organizations, law enforcement, and community members to take part in three main activities:
- Share information about strategies to prevent the growth of gang activity and violence in San Diego neighborhoods through multidimensional collaborative efforts
- Promote networking among the governmental, private and nonprofit organizations in San Diego County working in four key areas: Family Support, School Prevention, Community Prevention, and Research
- Facilitate whole-community involvement through strategic guidance and leadership in North County, East County, and five sub-regions of the city of San Diego – Midcity, Southeast, Mira Mesa, National City, and Coastal/Southern San Diego – and identify necessary funding through multiple coordinated efforts in each area
The summit runs from 8:30-4:00, beginning with a keynote address (speaker yet to be confirmed), followed by four breakout groups:
- “Community Prevention” (featuring Safe Passage, Curfew Sweeps, Project Safeway, and more)
- “Family Support” (showcasing programs such as Turning the Hearts, Empowerment Association, and programs of the San Diego County Office of Education)
- “School Prevention (featuring PASS Program, AWARE Program in North County, and 10 to Succeed)
- “Listening Tour” which aims to describe our community-based research project that helps the San Diego County Commission on Gang Prevention and Intervention identify priorities for its new strategic plan
After lunch the summit convenes with “Community Connections” facilitated sessions, which is for information sharing information about assets and resources already working for gang prevention and strategic planning for future collaborative projects. “Community Connections” are organized by the following regions: North County (Carlsbad to Escondido, 78 corridor), East County, South San Diego (Chula Vista, National City, South of the 94) and five sub-regions of the City of San Diego: Midcity, Southeast, Mira Mesa, National City, and Coastal/Southern San Diego.