Conference on Contemplative Studies
Date and Time
Thursday, November 20, 2014 – Friday, November 21, 2014
Mother Rosalie Hill Hall, Warren Auditorium
San Diego, CA 92110
The Conference on Contemplative Studies will be a symposium on Contemplative Studies, the emerging interdisciplinary field dedicated to research and education on contemplative practice and contemplative experience.
As currently scheduled, the conference on Contemplative Studies will consist of six panels, consisting of three scholars each. The tentative panel topics are as follows: (1) Contemplative Studies; (2) Critical Subjectivity; (3) Contemplative Pedagogy; (4) Tradition-based and Religiously-Committed Contemplative Practice; (5) Contemplative Psychology and Neuroscience; and (6) Interdisciplinary Perspectives.
The conference is designed to express a distinctive vision for the field, and also to address key issues and potential approaches. That is, this event will be an inclusive, interdisciplinary, and sophisticated meeting about contemplative practice and experience from an academic perspective.
The conference runs from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday in the Warren Auditorium in Mother Rosalie Hill Hall and is free and open to the public. Here is the complete schedule.
The following prominent scholars have already accepted the invitation to participate and present papers:
- Daniel Barbezat (Amherst College; Center for Contemplative Mind in Society)
- Francis X. Clooney (Harvard University; Center for the Study of World Religions)
- Donnalee Dox (Texas A&M University)
- John Dunne (Emory University)
- Jorge Ferrer (California Institute of Integral Studies)
- Andrew Fort (Texas Christian University)
- Mary Frohlich (Catholic Theological Union)
- Aaron Godlaski (Centre College)
- Fran Grace (University of Redlands)
- William Headley (University of San Diego; Institute for Peace and Justice)
- Claudia Horwitz (Rothko Chapel)
- Anne Klein (Rice University)
- Louis Komjathy (University of San Diego)
- Beverly Lanzetta (Community of a New Monastic Way)
- William Meninger (St. Benedict’s Monastery)
- Rico Monge (University of San Diego)
- James Morley (Ramapo College)
- Alberto Pulido (University of San Diego)
- Harold Roth (Brown University)
- Edward Sarath (University of Michigan)
- Clifford Saron (University of California, Davis; Center for Mind and Brain)
- Laura Schmalzl (University of California, San Diego School of Medicine)
- Sandra Sgoutas-Emch (University of San Diego; Center for Educational Excellence)
- Judith Simmer-Brown (Naropa University)
Organized by Louis Komjathy, PhD, of the Unversity of San Diego's Department of Theology and Religious Studies, this conference promises to be an exciting and groundbreaking event on the emerging interdisciplinary field of Contemplative Studies.
Co-sponsored by the Center for Christian Spirituality, Center for Educational Excellence, Center for Inclusion and Diversity, Department of Theology and Religious Studies, College of Arts and Sciences and Provost's Office.