Restoring Respect’s 3rd Annual Conference: Creating a Culture of Civility
Date and Time
Friday, March 21, 2014 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice,
San Diego, CA 92110
Restoring Respect is community initiative promoting greater civility in San Diego civic dialogue. The initiative is supported by a consortium of San Diego area academic institutions and community groups including the Catfish Club of San Diego, the San Diego Community College District and the University of San Diego.
Restoring Respect - 3rd Annual Conference Restoring Civility to Civic Dialogue
“Creating A Culture of Civility”
Chancellor Constance Carroll, San Diego Community College District, will provide opening remarks along with Reverend George Walker Smith, Founder, Catfish Club of San Diego, and Superintendent Cindy Marten, San Diego Unified School District.
Keynote speaker: Dr. Carolyn Lukensmeyer, Director, National Institute for Civic Discourse
The following panelists will discuss best practices for fostering greater civility in civic dialogue:
- Jerry Sanders, former mayor of San Diego, President/CEO, San Diego Chamber of Commerce
- Scott Lewis, CEO, Voice of San Diego
- David Barrera, Secretary/Treasurer, San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council
- Thella Bowens, President and CEO, San Diego Airport Authority
- Martin Carcasson, Director, Center for Public Deliberation, Colorado State University
Registration begins at 8 a.m. in the KIPJ Rotunda (light refreshments will be served), or you may register at www.sandiego.edu/restoringrespect.
Please join us to participate in this significant community discussion.
The conference is co-sponsored by the School of Leadership and Education Sciences and the San Diego Community College District.