USD Spirit Team Tryouts
This event occurred in the past
Date and Time
Sunday, April 14, 2013 at 9 a.m.
Jenny Craig Pavilion
Do you have school spirit? Love to dance and cheer? I fos, come join the Torero Spirit Team! Cheer for our Torero champions and dance at Torero football and basketball games. Get involved in the USD student community and the surrounding San Diego community. This is your chance to become a member of one of the most well-respected dance and cheer teams in the West Coast Conference.
USD Athletics is proud to announce tryouts for the upcoming 2013-2014 Torero Spirit Team will be held on Sunday, April 14, 2013. Mark your calendar!
For any questions, please contact Head Coach Amy Bodnar at Amy.Bodnar@gmail.com or (619) 300-3166.
Date: Sunday, April 14, 2013
Time: 9 a.m. doors and registration open
Where: Jenny Craig Pavilion
What to Wear:
- All-black dance attire (jazz pants, cargo pants, form fitting, appropriate tops, no baggy t-shirts)
- Tennis shoes and jazz shoes with non-marking soles
- Hair should be down and make-up should be done as if you were at a performance
- No jewelry or visible body piercings/tattoos
What to Bring:
- Completed tryout application (forms available online)
- Headshot to attach to Tryout Application
- $500 cash/check made payable to USD Athletics for uniforms if you make the team
- Water bottle
- All necessary forms and application will be available online prior to tryouts, as well as at the JCP on the day of tryouts to complete. We highly encourage all those auditioning to complete the forms prior to your arrival. Please also attach a headshot photo to your application.
- Tryouts will consist of dance, cheer, and technique. Number of cuts is based on the number of people auditioning.
- You will be taught a 4 eight count hip hop/jazz combo routine and demonstrate technique across the floor. You will also learn a cheer/chant and demonstrate rallying ability.
- Tumbling is not a tryout requirement; however, anyone who tumbles will have the opportunity to showcase their abilities. Mats will not be available. Please, no tumbling, unless you have prior experience.
- Judging is based on a selection system. The judges and coach will make the choices and cuts on that day. This helps to expedite the process.
- Individual interviews will be conducted before the final dance cut.
- Once the interviews have concluded, we will hold the final dance cut. We will deliberate for approximately an hour, then announce the 2013-2014 Torero Spirit Team.
- Once the team has been announced, we will have a team meeting and introduction. Please bring a checkbook, as we will be collecting uniform money at that time.
- Each team member will be fitted for uniforms at this time.
- All participants auditioning must be able to complete a clean double turn during the technique portion of auditions.
- You must provide a copy of your acceptance letter, by the end of June, if you are an incoming freshman or transfer.
- USD Athletics will accept a limited number of applicants via video submission. If you are unable to attend tryouts on the specified date, please contact Head Coach Amy Bodnar for further instructions regarding the submission of your video tryout.