8th Annual Nonprofit Governance Symposium
Date and Time
Friday, January 6, 2012 – Saturday, January 7, 2012 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice
San Diego, CA 92110
For the last seven years we have brought you the latest information on nonprofit governance. We have researched new thinking and best practices to find out what is needed, relevant, and crucial to make our sector stronger. This year we wanted to add your voices more directly to the symposium’s design. The result: 140 San Diego leaders provided feedback which shaped this agenda. We took your comments and requests, combined them with our usual best practice and academic research and are proud to present the conference you requested. On Friday we are delighted to feature: Mai Moua, PhD, founder and president, Leadership Paradigms, as our keynote speaker. Dr. Moua will speak on "Leading the Way: Creating Collective Impact Through Inclusive Governance Models."
Dr. Moua is a challenging and provocative speaker who has helped many organizations stretch their imaginations and move into new governance territory – one that aims for successful collective action and collaboration. She is a faculty member at University of Minnesota’s Humphrey Institute for Public Affairs, Union Institute and University and Walden University. Dr. Moua’s recently released book is titled, Culturally Intelligent Leadership: Leading through Intercultural Interactions. She also serves on the Board of Directors of Twin Cities Public Television Network.
Who should attend:
- New and experienced board members
- Teams comprising board members and staff
- Chief executives, foundation leaders, and emerging leaders
- Public board and commission members
- Prospective board members
- Service-club members
The 8th Annual Nonprofit Governance Symposium comprises two interconnected yet independent days. Seminars have been designed to meet the special needs of organizations (and the people who steward them), at all stages of their development – from emerging to established. Participants may attend one or both days. Space is limited. Early registration is encouraged.
What you will experience
- Engage in a strategic mix of seminars, conversations, examples and lectures focused on best practices for nonprofit governance.
- Discover resources for maintaining a healthy organization and overcoming the challenges presented by hard times.
Sharing conversation and experience with those who have been there:
- Exchange ideas with conference goers and seminar leaders representing a wide variety of nonprofit organizations.
- Listen to a case study of an award-winning organization’s approach to excellent governance.
- Learn about an organization that has achieved and surpassed good governance at the presentation of the “Sixth Annual Kaleidoscope Award for Exceptional Governance.” A special reception honoring the winner and previous winners will close the event on Friday.
Meeting those you know and those you should know:
- Network with new colleagues who, like you, are working to create effective board strategies.
Laura B. Stein