Seventh Annual Nonprofit Governance Symposium
This event occurred in the past
Date and Time
Friday, January 7, 2011 – Saturday, January 8, 2011 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice
Good governance is always key to the health of a nonprofit organization. In hard times, it determines its very survival. And it’s not just about a commitment to a cause. It also means a willingness to unite, to be tirelessly courageous, to make tough decisions, to be disciplined in action.
Hard times test a board's abilities. Yet they also create opportunity. For innovation. For excellence. For unforeseen achievement. For new successes. How can an organization seize the economic recession as an opportunity for growth?
This year’s Nonprofit Governance Symposium explores strategies and concepts to help you get there.
What you will experience:
- Engage in a strategic mix of seminars, conversations, examples and lectures dedicated to governance best practices in overcoming the challenges presented by hard times.
Sharing conversation and experience with those who have been there:
- Listen to a case study of an award-winning organization’s approach to excellent governance.
- Learn about an organization that has achieved and surpassed good governance at the presentation of the “Fifth Annual Kaleidoscope Award for Exceptional Governance.” A special reception honoring the winner and previous winners will close the event on Friday.
Meeting those you know and those you should know:
- Network with new colleagues who, like you, are working to create effective board strategies.
Board Match opportunity for those looking to volunteer:
- This year’s symposium will not just provide critical information about board roles, responsibilities, and recruitment, but it will also help individuals and organizations take another step in creating that meaningful board partnership through Board Match. The board fair will take place on Saturday. This will be an opportunity for potential board members to connect with local nonprofits that are seeking board members. Participants will have the opportunity to visit with nonprofit representatives, learn about their organizations, and provide those nonprofits with information about the kind of board they’re looking to join. It’s all about finding the right fit for both the individual and the nonprofit.
Who should attend:
- New and experienced board members
- Teams comprising board members and staff
- Chief executives, foundation leaders and emerging leaders
- Public board and commission members
- Prospective board members
- Service-club members
The Seventh Annual Nonprofit Governance Symposium comprises two interconnected yet independent days. Seminars have been designed to meet the special needs of organizations (and the people who steward them), at all stages of their development – from emerging to established. Participants may attend one or both days. Space is limited. Early registration is encouraged.
Laura B. Stein