Get Involved in Our Professional and Honor Societies
Learn about our professional societies for students, our four honor societies and how you can become involved in them.
Professional and honor societies can help you broaden your knowledge and connect with people like you or who have your interests. Check out each organization's USD chapter website using the links below.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) The Society and its members focus on building systems, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, refrigeration and sustainability within the industry.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) is a professional organization that supports knowledge and professional development in areas such as mechanics, materials, energy conversion, aerospace, manufacturing and design.
- Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) is designed to serve professionals involved in all aspects of the electrical, electronic and computing fields and related areas of science and technology that underlie modern civilization.
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) is the world's largest professional society dedicated solely to the support of the industrial engineering profession and individuals involved with improving quality and productivity.
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) includes in its mission the goal "to increase the number of culturally responsibly black engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community."
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is a global association of more than 128,000 engineers and related technical experts in the aerospace, automotive and commercial-vehicle industries.
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development.
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is a national educational and service organization that empowers women to succeed and advance in the field of engineering, and to be recognized for their life-changing contributions as engineers and leaders.
- Alpha Pi Mu is the only nationally accepted Industrial Engineering honor society for Industrial and System Engineers.
- Eta Kappa Nu is the international honor society for Electrical Engineers.
- Pi Tau Sigma is the national honor society for Mechanical Engineers.
- Tau Beta Pi is the oldest engineering honor society and honors engineers from all of USD's Engineering majors.