...There are Hazardous Materials
Chemicals and Solvents
- If immediate fire hazard exists or medical assistance is required, call Public Safety at ext. 2222 or (619) 260-2222, activate alarm, evacuate area and await assistance.
For spills not involving immediate danger to life and/or property:
- Confine the spill.
- Evacuate the immediate area and limit access.
- Notify area supervisor.
- Any spill that can potentially cause injury to a person or property must be reported to the Environmental Health and Safety Manager at ext. 2226 or (619) 260-2226 and Public Safety at ext. 2222 or (619) 260-2222.
- Keep all personnel away from the area of the spill.
- Contact the Radiation Safety Officer at ext.: 8885.
- Notify the Environmental Health and Safety Manager ext.: 2226.
- Notify Public Safety at ext. 2222 or (619) 260-2222.
- If skin is lacerated by glassware or equipment contaminated with radioactive material, immediately wash the wounded area thoroughly under a cold stream of water. Call Public Safety at ext. 2222 or (619) 260-2222.
Ingestion of Radioactive Material:
- Accidental ingestion or swallowing of radioactive material should be treated like other types of poisoning. Large volumes of water should be swallowed, followed by throat stimulation by the fingers to induce vomiting. Call Public Safety at ext. 2222 or (619) 260-2222.