Documentation Requirements for Medical Disability (including sensory impairments and mobility)
To document medical disability we need:
- A brief history aimed at establishing the severity, chronicity and prognosis of the condition.
- Diagnosis from a licensed professional qualified to make such diagnoses.
- A brief description of the types of challenges the student is likely to face in college (his/her functional limitations).
- A list of recommendations for accommodations with a brief rationale, for example, "Please consider allowing the student 50% additional time on timed tests. This will serve to minimize the impact of the writing impairment incurred by the nerve damage in this student's hand," In this example, the accommodation is explicitly linked to a functional limitation for this student.
- The provider's letter/report should be typed on her/his professional stationary with letterhead.