ADD and ADHD
Guidelines to document Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):
- A brief history aimed at establishing a long-term history of ADHD symptoms (e.g., attentional, planning and self-management issues).
- Diagnosis with DSM codes and the DSM-IV features of the disorder the provider observed.
- A brief description of the types of challenges the student is likely to face in college (their functional limitations).
- A list of recommendations for accommodations with a brief rationale, for example, "Please consider allowing the student 50% additional time on timed tests. This will serve to minimize the impact of the cognitive disorganization attendant to this student's ADHD," In this example, the accommodation is explicitly linked to a functional limitation for this student.
- The provider's letter/report should be typed on her/his professional stationary with letterhead.