Faculty are encouraged to participate in USD’s commencement activities! Participation in Commencement ceremonies is open to all benefits-based faculty.
A special mid-year Celebration Mass and reception will be held on Friday, December 20, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. in Founders Chapel for undergraduate, graduate and law students who complete their coursework in January 2014. Faculty are encouraged to attend and celebrate with these graduates. The Celebration Mass is not a Commencement ceremony, so caps and gowns are not worn and diploma cases are not presented.
Faculty should receive an email from the Provost’s Office in early March with a link to the USD Torero Store’s online attendance and regalia order form. Faculty select the ceremonies they plan to attend and order regalia, if needed, and submit the form online. Regardless of whether you order regalia, please let us know that you plan to attend Commencement(s) by marking your attendance on the online form. This helps ensure there is adequate seating on the platform for faculty!
Faculty can order caps and gowns online at the USD Torero Store beginning March 19 through April 18, 2014. Faculty cap and gown pick up begins May 9 at the USD Torero Store during regular store hours. Regalia ordered through the USD Torero Store must be returned immediately following Commencement. Please deposit regalia in the bins provided for this purpose inside the Jenny Craig Pavilion.
Faculty who need special accommodation, such as wheelchair or assisted access, or have unanticipated needs that arise during the week before Commencement, should contact the head marshal, Marie Minnick, at (619) 260-4590 or email email@example.com. This information will be shared with the appropriate platform marshal.
Vehicles displaying a DMV-issued disabled person parking tag or sticker will be directed to designated spaces on the third floor of the Mission Parking Structure, which is directly across from the Jenny Craig Pavilion. Tram Service is provided for all disabled and elderly guests from the third floor entrance of the Mission Parking Structure.
If you have a son, daughter, or spouse graduating from USD, you are invited to participate in the conferral of degree for your family member. If you would like to participate in this capacity, please provide:
- Your name
- Employment title
- Name of son/daughter/spouse
- Degree (PhD, EdD, MA, MBA, BA, etc.) and name of program son/daughter/spouse is to graduate from
- USD email and USD phone extension
- Cell phone number
to Julia Bemiss (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 18, 2014. This information will be shared with the appropriate platform marshal.
Faculty should arrive at the Jenny Craig Pavilion at least one hour before the ceremony start-time. Faculty robing takes place in the Faculty Green Room (Fitness Center) on the ground floor of the Jenny Craig Pavilion. Bins will also be placed inside the Faculty Green Room for returning regalia after the ceremony.
The Faculty Marshal will assist faculty in lining up and leads the faculty in the processional. There is no assigned seating for faculty on the platform, but faculty should stay in their rows as they fill the available seats.
Doctoral candidates in the Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science and the School of Leadership and Education Sciences are escorted by their dissertation chair (or other committee member, if the chair is not available). Be sure the velvet side of the hood is facing outward when placing the front of the hood over the candidate’s head.
When the Provost says,“Doctoral candidates in Nursing or Education, please stand and approach the platform”:
- Candidates stand from their seated position on the floor and move to the foot of the ramp stage right (their left, as they approach the stage). Candidates carry the hood draped over the left arm with the velvet toward the right. MAKE SURE THE HOOD IS NOT BUTTONED!
- At the direction of the platform marshal, faculty chairs seated on the platform stand and proceed to the top of the ramp at the front right of the platform. Meet your first doctoral candidate at the top of the ramp. Do not go down the stairs or the ramp.
- The dissertation chair takes the hood from the candidate and drapes it over his or her left arm with the velvet toward the right.
When the dean announces the candidate’s name, the candidate and chair walk across to center stage, with the candidate on the RIGHT and the faculty member on the LEFT to meet the President; (UNLESS you are meeting your candidate center stage because you are hooding more than one candidate).
- Candidate stops in front of President Lyons and faces audience.
- Chair stops to President Lyons’ right.
- The Chair hoods the candidate and congratulates the candidate (photographer takes picture at this point) – be sure to hood with the velvet on the outside, and place the hood over the candidate’s head from behind the candidate.
- Candidate turns back to face Dr. Lyons to receive the diploma and Dr. Lyons’ congratulations.
- Chair and candidate proceed across stage to far ramp stage left (UNLESS you as chair are hooding the next candidate, in which case you should remain at center stage to meet your next candidate).
- Candidate exits stage left, down the stairs, and returns to seat and sits down while you as Chair return to your seat, either by walking or circling behind platform party to return to your seat (UNLESS you as chair are hooding another candidate, then you should remain at center stage to meet your next candidate).
A script is provided to all readers, generally a week in advance of the ceremony. Readers lists become available in early May and again the Friday before Commencement weekend. Readers log into the name pronunciation software database via the MySanDiego portal. Once logged in, readers can listen to recorded files, which have been uploaded by the students. Directions for accessing the recorded files are at www.sandiego.edu/its/pronunciation/. Readers should plan to attend the Readers’ Rehearsal and microphone check on Friday, May 23 at 3:00 p.m. on the ground floor of the JCP. Please convene on stage.
Readers are encouraged to contact the students directly regarding correct pronunciation of names, as not every student uploads a recording and in some cases, a particular name might be difficult to understand as recorded. Readers are also encouraged to arrive early at the JCP to ask students the correct pronunciation of their names as they line up for the procession.
Faculty who need special accommodation, such as wheelchair or assisted access, or have unanticipated needs that arise during the week before Commencement, should contact the Head Marshall, Marie Minnick at (619) 260-4590 or email email@example.com. This information will be shared with the appropriate platform marshal.
For questions regarding regalia ordering and pick up, contact the USD Torero Store Graduation Hotline at (619) 260-4600, ext. 2597 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the Mid-Year Graduates Celebration Mass and Reception, please contact Mary Kruer of the Office of Mission and Ministry at (619) 260-5903 or email email@example.com. The Mid-Year Graduates Celebration Mass and Reception will be held Friday, December 20, 2013 at 4 p.m. in Founders Chapel.
For questions regarding the Black Graduates Recognition Celebration and Reception, contact Pamela Gray Payton at (619) 260-4681 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Black Graduates Recognition Celebration and Reception will be held Friday, May 23 at 1:30 p.m. in the Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre and Rotunda.
For questions regarding the Chicana/o and Latina/o Graduates Recognition Celebration and Reception, contact the United Front Multicultural Center at (619) 260-6871. The Chicana/o Latina/o Recognition Ceremony will be held Saturday, May 24 at TIME/LOCATION TBD. Dinner immediately follows in LOCATION TBD.
For general questions regarding the Commencement, or if you are a faculty or staff member who would like to present a diploma case to a relative who will be graduating from USD, please contact Julia Bemiss in the Office of the Vice President and Provost at (619) 849-8228 or email email@example.com.