The objective of this award is to create role models and communicate noteworthy accomplishments, to reinforce behaviors important to the university, and to increase morale by recognizing extraordinary employee contributions. From our Catholic Identity, the core values at USD include Academic Excellence, Knowledge, Community, Ethical Conduct, and Compassionate Service.
As you know the Manuel Hernandez Staff Employee of the Year Award has been presented to an outstanding staff employee every year since 1985. This award is presented every year at our community picnic. Going forward only employees nominated for a CHR@USD Employee Recognition Award will be eligible for nomination for the Manuel Hernandez Staff Employee of the Year Award. For more information on the Manuel Hernandez Staff Employee of the Year.
Awardees will be selected from the nominees exemplifying the university’s mission statement, core values, and strategic initiative in an extraordinary fashion. Areas of consideration may include excellence in advancing:
The USD Way
- Employee pledges to respect the value and human dignity of each and every person.
- Employee is committed to treating everyone with courtesy and compassion so that they feel valued, cared for and respected.
Inclusion and Diversity
- Employee has been committed to the realization and continuation of equal opportunity and affirmative action at USD and demonstrates efforts to improve understanding and commitment to the relevant principles.
- Employee has improved the university’s working, learning, and teaching environments as they affect diverse populations.
- Employee has demonstrated an active commitment to furthering social justice with a group or organization within or outside of USD.
Creativity and Innovation
- Employee has generated novel and valuable ideas and used these ideas to develop new or improved processes, methods, systems, programs or services; nomination recognizes creative ideas that have improved the university and made USD a better place to work.
- Employee has demonstrated concern and commitment to fulfill needs and ensure satisfaction when providing services to members of the external community.
- Employee has found ways to improve the quality of the work place by renewing, replacing or reinventing USD resources.
Service to Students
- Employee has provided outstanding service to individual students or student groups on a consistent basis, whether through personal advising, development of programs, or improvements to university systems and policies that affect students. (The employee does not have to work directly with students on a daily basis or as part of their position with USD.)
ALL USD employees who have been employed at the university for a minimum of six months are eligible for nomination. This includes faculty, staff and administrators. Nominations may be made by peers and/or supervisors. The employees who receive awards will not be eligible for nomination for another two years. However, a nominee may be nominated again in subsequent years.
The award will be presented twice during the academic year, once in the Spring semester and again in the Fall semester. Awards will recognize up to a total of 12 employees annually. Individual awards are $250 each (subject to applicable payroll deductions).
During each selection phase, up to 6 awardees will be selected from submitted nominations by a screening committee composed of staff, faculty and administrators who serve on the CHR@USD Committee. The selection process will be facilitated by the Assistant Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer.
Thank you for your participation and interest in recognizing outstanding employees. Please direct your questions to the attention of Adriana Garcia in the Department of Human Resources.
- Student employees are not eligible at this time.
Download the CHR@USD Employee Recognition Award Nomination Form.