Physics Content Knowledge
- Learn the core theories and principles of physics.
- Learn how the core principles of physics are applied to modern areas of physics research.
Skills in the Discipline
- Learn methods of experimental physics.
- Learn methods of data analysis for experimental data.
- Develop communication skills, including writing across the physics curriculum and scientific presentation skills.
- Develop the ability to critically evaluate theories, methods, principles, and applications of pure and applied science.
- Develop the ability to analyze both old and new technologies in terms of their underlying theoretical and applied physics.
Throughout the program and especially at the time of graduation -
- Physics majors should have a thorough knowledge and comprehension of the core concepts of classical and modern physics.
- Physics majors should have a set of fundamental skills that can be applied to a variety of situations, including a) writing skills; b) presentation skills; c) laboratory skills; d) computer skills; and e) problem-solving skills.
- Physics majors should be adequately trained to apply their physics experience and knowledge to analyze new situations.
- Physics majors understand and articulate the nature of science, and its development through the scientific method.