Labs and Equipment
The Shiley Center for Science and Technology opened in 2003 with all new spaces, laboratories and equipment. With this move, we redesigned and reimagined many of our laboratory spaces, which provides students and faculty with state of the art lab equipment.
Partial Instrument List
- Atomic force microscope (AFM) for nanometer-scale surface imaging
- Laser spectroscopy laboratory (with diode lasers, optical parametric oscillators, gas lasers, monochrometer, etc.)
- Optical Pump
- Plasma vacuum chambers
- High-vacuum pumping stations, including an oil-free turbo pumping stations
- Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) apparatus
- Up-to-date electronics laboratory
- LabView data acquisition software for research and teaching labs
- PASCO computer data acquisition apparatus for all teaching laboratories
- Fully equipped machine shop, including digital mill and lathe
- Study room for physics majors and minors with key access
Other facilities include the laser spectroscopy laboratory, used for lower and upper division laboratory experiments, and the H-Bar, the room in which physics majors often go to hang out, and in which physics majors offer tutoring for lower division courses. We also occasionally use the room for physics social gatherings.
We now have lab space for our upper division advanced lab course, a part of which is home to our new optical pumping apparatus.
We like to think of the faculty offices as important places where we foster meaningful relationships with our students. Our students often remark that they enjoy the openness they feel from the faculty, and how welcome they are to talk about physics, classes, their future studies and about their lives!
Phone: (619) 260-4058
Fax: (619) 260-6874
Science & Technology 206
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110