Applicants should keep in mind that admissions process is competitive and that meeting the minimum requirements is not a guarantee of admission. They should also understand that the application package is considered as a whole, and that weaknesses in one dimension may be more than offset by strengths in another dimension.
Admission Requirements and Guidelines
- an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- at least some academic preparation from courses in political science, history, economics, and/or other subjects relevant to international affairs; students do not need to have majored in these fields as long as they have strong intellectual aptitude and international interest
- minimum 3.2 GPA
- minimum GRE scores of 153 Verbal (or around 60 per cent rank), 147 Quantitative (or around 40 per cent rank), and 4.0 to 4.5 Analytical (around 50 to 70 per cent rank.) All applicants are required to take the GRE— other examinations cannot be substituted for this requirement.
- for international students whose undergraduate work was not in English, a score of around 90 on the TOEFL (test of English as a foreign language)
- official transcripts from all universities/colleges attended; transcripts that do not bear the registrar's signature and/or institutional seal or not official. Institutions that can send secure electronic transcripts can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. International applicants must have their transcripts processed and should contact graduate admissions for details.
- three letters of recommendation (normally at least two from academic referees)
- a current resume
- a statement of purpose (500 words) explaining why you are pursuing a MAIR degree and why USD is the proper fit for your aspirations
- an application form
- an application fee of 45 dollars (checks should be made out to University of San Diego)
For additional information about graduate admissions, please contact:
Ms. Erika Garwood, Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions, email@example.com, (619) 260 - 5981
Here you can find application deadlines and other important dates.