Level 1 Education Specialist
Credential Option 2: Preliminary Education Specialist Credential with Mild to Moderate Authorization for K-12 and adults with disabilities to 22
The Preliminary Education Specialist Level I (Mild/Moderate) Credential Program prepares future teachers to serve children, youth, and adults who have special learning or emotional needs. The Education Specialist credential may be used in K-12 resource rooms, special day classes, or alternative settings and authorizes teachers to instruct individuals in grades K-12 and adults who have specific learning disabilities, mild/moderate mental retardation, other health impairments, and/or serious emotional disturbance. See coursework required on Credential Preparation Requirements page of the coursework checklist on pg. 12 of this handbook.
Credential Preparation Requirements for Option 2: Level I Education Specialist: Mild/Moderate (38 units)
Prerequisite Foundations Coursework: These courses may be taken before admission to the Credential Program.
- ENGL 318 Development of the English Language (3)
- EDSP 389 Healthy Environments and Inclusive Education (3)
Foundations Coursework: Should try to complete before beginning Methods coursework; however, the following may be taken before admission to the Credential Program.
- EDSP 373 Diverse Family Systems and Transitions (3) (Spring only)
- EDSP 374 Global Perspectives and Foundations in SPED (3) (Spring only)
- EDSP 379 Legal, Ethical and Professional Practices in a Diverse Society (2) (Spring only)
Methods Special Education Coursework: The following courses may be taken only after admission to the Credential Program.
- EDSP 370 Assessment Identification to Transition in Special Education (3) (Fall only)
- EDSP 371 Management Behavior and Instruction (3) (Fall only)
- EDSP 375P Evidence Based Inclusive Practices Mild/Moderate Disabilities (3 units, 25 hours field work) (Spr only)
Methods General Education/ Multiple Subject Content Coursework: Includes student teaching.
- EDUC 383P Methods of Teaching Literacy and Language Arts (3 units, 50 practicum hours)
- EDUC 384C Methods of Teaching English Language & Academic Development (3 units, 20 CSL hours)
- EDUC 375P Elementary Curriculum Methods (for special ed majors; 3 units, 25 hours field work) (Fall only)
- EDSP 490P Student Teaching Mild to Moderate (6 units, full-day)