Department of History
Explore the past, understand the present and plan for the future in a global society.
The History Department is dedicated to excellent teaching and innovative research. Students learn to work with original sources and to think and write critically about a wide variety of historical problems.
History majors become good writers and effective speakers. They know how to use evidence and argument to support their point of view. They also understand the importance of placing current events into historical perspective.
After graduating, our history majors go on to work in law and business, public service (including politics, public administration, and the foreign service), college and secondary teaching, the military, newspapers, museums and libraries. They work as editors, archivists, administrators, curators, historic preservation specialists, writers, public policy analysts and historians. Some work in the production of historical documentaries in television, radio and film.
Why Choose History at USD:
Students have access to faculty who are conducting important research in their fields. In the history major, students work closely with faculty and learn how to conduct their own original historical research. During their senior year, students work closely with faculty mentors and research and write an original senior thesis that contributes to our understanding of the past. This is a résumé-building experience that can lead to acceptance in a top graduate or law program as well as preparation for a host of meaningful careers.
Rather than passive memorization, students in USD history classes are active learners who continually hone their critical thinking, writing, public speaking, and research skills. Our exciting, engaging classes cover the globe (from Africa to East Asia to San Diego) and address all historical periods (from the ancient world to the current moment)
- Ellen Browning Scripps: Journalist, Suffragette, Investor, and Philanthropist - A talk by Dr. Molly McClain
Thursday, November 3, 2016
- San Diego: California's Cornerstone
Wednesday, November 2, 2016The San Diego History Center
- Professor Iris Engstrand Looks Back on 50 years at the University of San Diego
Friday, September 9, 2016The San Diego History Center
- SHAFR Conference Knows Much About History
Friday, June 24, 2016The San Diego History Center
- History MA Students Admitted to PhD Programs
Monday, May 2, 2016The San Diego History Center
- Professor Iris Engstrand, PhD, Receives Employee Recognition Award
Wednesday, April 6, 2016The San Diego History Center
- Award-Winning Historian Reflects on Christian-Jewish-Muslim Relations
Monday, April 4, 2016The San Diego History Center
- MA History Update
Tuesday, March 29, 2016The San Diego History Center
- Professor Thomas W. Barton, PhD, Wins Prestigious Book Award
Monday, March 21, 2016The San Diego History Center
- The National History Honor Society Wants You!
Thursday, March 10, 2016The San Diego History Center
- Steven L. Wilson, History MA ’09, is headed to Sweden
Monday, March 7, 2016The San Diego History Center
- A historic transformation: the middle class is no longer the majority in America
Wednesday, January 13, 2016The San Diego History Center