- All full-time, tenure-track faculty are eligible.
- Full-time adjunct faculty may apply for up to $2,500 for supplies and/or student research support. Adjuncts may not apply for reassigned time or travel expenses.
- Department Chairs and Program Directors may receive FRG reassigned time at the Dean’s discretion.
- If you have not completed and filed an FRG report from your most recently completed grant you are automatically ineligible for a new FRG.
- Proposals that do not include all "elements of a proposal" will be automatically considered ineligible. See "The Elements of a Proposal" below.
- Faculty are encouraged to apply for external sources of funding. Outside grants will not reduce or increase the chances of receiving an FRG (except as an indication of well-received scholarship).
- Faculty who receive "cost-share" funding as part of an external grant or who receive a University Professorship may not also receive an FRG award during the same academic year.
- An FRG for reassigned time may be used in the same semester as other forms of reassigned time (e.g. for preceptorials or phased retirement) at your Chair’s discretion.
- Preference will be given to the most meritorious proposals. However, when merit of proposals is considered equal, preference will be given to faculty whose proposals have not been funded within the past three years.
- FRG's may only be used for the project for which they are awarded.
- Maximum FRG: $7,020.
- Maximum LFRG: $12,000.
- 3 units of reassigned time costs: $6,020; 2 units of reassigned time: $4,010; 1 unit of reassigned time: $2,010.
- Summer stipend: $5,490. The dollar value of the summer stipend may vary slightly depending on future costs of benefits.
- You may apply for one course of reassigned time per year.
- You may apply for reassigned time plus funding for travel, student research assistants or supplies, up to $1,000. The FRG maximum is $1,000 over the cost of reassigned time.
- You may apply for 1 or 2 units of reassigned time (for those with units already banked from other sources).
Travel for specific research purposes
- Travel may be to attend a conference, to visit libraries, and to conduct research. If traveling internationally, faculty should also request funding through the International Center's International Opportunities Grant program as well.
- Travel funding includes transportation, food, lodging, and conference registration.
Research materials or other support to advance a project
- Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to, scientific and art supplies, books, and student research assistance.
Summer Stipend Support
- In lieu of reassigned time, applicants may request funding for summer research, up to $5490.
- Applicant may not teach in the summer school sessions in the summer in which FRG funding is granted.
- Please indicate whether you will take August or June funding in your proposal. Because the fiscal year begins in July, this affects which summer you will take the stipend.
- LFRGs are intended to support larger-scale projects of particular excellence.
- LFRGs are intended to support projects with high expenses for materials or other costs. Applicants may not request LFRG funds for reassigned time or summer stipends. Otherwise, eligibility and criteria are the same as above.
- Grants are available up to $12,000.
- You may apply for an LFRG and an FRG simultaneously, but will only receive one.
- Recipients of an LFRG are not eligible to apply for another LFRG the following year.
Your proposal must include the following:
- An abstract
- A research plan, not to exceed three pages single spaced. The research plan must include the following sections:
- A description of the project
- A summary of FRG proposals and awards, including a review of FRG research outcomes over the past 3 years. See "Record of research achievement" below.
- A detailed budget
- An abbreviated research CV, no more than 2 pages in length.
- Total number of pages - not to exceed five pages including proposal and research CV.
- Department Chair's approval on-line (submitted independently by the Chair).
- Be as specific about proposed research as possible within page limits.
Proposals will be evaluated according to 4 criteria:
- Demonstrate the intellectual value of your research, whether its research of discovery, application, integration, or pedagogy.
- Indicators of merit include: book contracts, accepted publications in peer-reviewed journals, shows and other kinds of creative work, conferences, outside sources of funding, awards and other forms of recognition from experts in the field, strong connections to teaching.
Record of research achievement
- The research plan and CV should indicate a strong research agenda in the past and at present.
- Describe FRG funding received for the past three years, and the specific outcomes. Specify publications, conference presentations, performances, or creative work completed. Demonstrate that you have taken full advantage of past FRG funding.
- The FRG Committee will have access to past FRG reports when reviewing new proposals.
Organization of the overall project
- A strong proposal will articulate goals that are specific and achievable in the period of the FRG.
- If the project is part of a larger whole, provide detailed descriptions of the entire project (e.g. the book or the larger research project). Describe how the specific goals of this FRG fit into the whole.
- Make sure the research timeline is clearly outlined.
Clarity of proposal
- A strong application will be clearly written and organized, will have a detailed and reasonable budget, and will have all of the elements listed under "The Elements of a Proposal."
- Please note that your proposal will be read by members of the faculty who are not specialists in your field - write for the non-specialist.
- Fill out the forms as directed. Please upload your research plan as a pdf document, as this preserves the layout. See directions on submission page.
- Upon submission, your department chair will be automatically notified, and will indicate his/her approval or disapproval of your proposal electronically. If you need assistance either creating or uploading a .pdf file, please check with your Executive Assistant.
- Upon submission, you will receive an automatic email confirmation. If you do not receive the automatic email confirmation, please notify Perla Myers immediately.
- Please hit the submit button only once.
- For questions or problems regarding the submission process, contact Perla Myers, email@example.com