Bookmark and Share

Freshman Registration



I missed the Live Webinar on May 6th, can I watch a recording?

Yes! The recording can be seen here!

How do I take a placement exam?

For all information on placement exams and AP/IB/CLEP credits, please visit the Placement Exams page.

What is the Core Curriculum?

In order to graduate from USD, students must complete general education (Core) requirements, which are courses that provide a broad, liberal arts background. For instance, every student must fulfill the core requirements for natural science, math, philosophy, and theology and religious studies (to name a few examples) in order to graduate.

Undergraduate Bulletin

Core Curriculum Courses

What is the hold on my student account?

Make sure that you send in your immunization records to the Health Center in order to have your Health Center hold removed. Immunization Link.

I hear I have to have health insurance, does it need to be USD's Health Insurance?

All USD full-time undergraduate and graduate students are required to have health insurance. Students have the option of accepting coverage under USD's affordable and comprehensive health insurance plan or waiving enrollment if they are already covered by a comparable health insurance plan.

If you already have comparable healthcare coverage, you must waive your enrollment by 8/22/14 by going to Failure to take action by the deadline will result in automatic enrollment and you will be billed, on your student account, in the amount of $1,852 for 12 months of comprehensive coverage.

For more information:
Call Gallagher Student Health toll free at 877.241.4649

If you want to speak to a USD represenative, please call Student Accounts: 619.260.2700 (option 3)

Add/Drop Period – when can I change my schedule?

During the first week of class, you will have the opportunity to access your schedule and make adjustments. The last day to add/drop is Friday, 9/12/14.

How can I enroll in EdRec classes?

You can enroll in recreational classes when you arrive at USD. The add/drop period begins the first week of school, and you will be allowed to edit your course schedule.

What is MyStudentBody?

As you probably know, the use or misuse of alcohol can be a significant issue in the lives of college students.  Whether you abstain from alcohol entirely or not, it is an influence in our lives and in our society.  As part of the University of San Diego’s commitment to the well-being of our students and our community, all first-year USD students are required to complete the online MyStudentBody “Essentials” course, an alcohol, other drug, and sexual violence prevention program.  This interactive course is designed to increase your knowledge about alcohol, help you think critically about how to reduce high-risk behaviors, and provide you with the tools to actively engage in a community that promotes wellness. 

The MyStudentBody (MSB) course becomes available for new students on July 23, 2014. Students have between July 23, 2014 and August 17, 2014 to complete Part 1. After students complete Part 1 they will need to complete Part 2, the 60 day follow-up to Part 1. If students complete Part 1 within the deadlines they should be able to complete Part 2 by October 22, 2014.

In short here are the MSB dates:
1. Course becomes available 7/23/14
2. Part 1 Deadline 8/17/14
3. Part 2 Deadline 10/22/14

What is Student Support Services?

Student Support Services is jointly funded by the U.S. Department of Education and the University of San Diego to serve eligible undergraduates at USD. The program provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with college requirements, and serves to retain and motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education at USD.

To be eligible you must be a USD student who is ONE or more of the following:

  • Low income (as determined by Federal Income Guidelines)
  • First generation (an individual both of whose parents, or whose only supporting parent did not complete a baccalaureate degree)
  • Students with disabilities (students who have a documented disability and are registered with USD’s Disability Services)
  • Underrepresented population (as determined by USD)

Contact Student Support Services staff to apply!

What is Summer Bridge?

Summer Bridge is an intense one-week introduction to USD that occurs the week before Torero Days. Open to all incoming SSS eligible freshman and transfer students, Summer Bridge will help you make a smooth and successful transition into college life at USD.

I am an athlete and my practice times conflict with a class. What should I do?

If your schedule conflicts with a practice, please email Ron Valenzuela right away at We will fix your course conflict as soon as possible.

Why does it say I’m undeclared if I specified my requested major on the Questionnaire?

Until you formally declare your major (typically fill out this form during the end of sophomore year/beginning of junior year), your DARS will label you as ‘undeclared.’

Why does it say I’m in the College of Arts and Sciences if I want to be in the School of Business or the School of Engineering?

All students come in as “undeclared” under the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). You can officially declare your major after your first semester at USD, which would then place you in the School of Business or Engineering.

How and when do I buy books?

You can order your books ahead of time. Go to the MySanDiego portal Academic Resources tab to find your course schedule. Click on the book for your list of required course materials. Then shop for your books through the Torero Store to buy, rent, download or reserve them ahead of time. If you have any questions about book orders or reservations, please contact the Torero Store at (619) 260-4551 or email

What is OLÉ! Weekend and when does it take place?

OLÉ! Weekend is an effort on the part of the University of San Diego to acquaint new students with all aspects of campus life prior to the beginning of classes. Because USD is committed to a holistic education, one that takes place inside as well as outside of the classroom, we want to acquaint you with all the aspects of campus that may help you in your overall development. OLÉ! Weekend will take place from August 30-September 2, 2014!

Where can I find information about Pre-Orientation Trips?

Pre-O has a brand new website just for you! There are Pre-Orienation Adventures through Outdoor Adventures and a Pre-Orientation Retreat with University Ministry! To register for the University Ministry Pre-O retreat, please go here.

Pre-O is a GREAT way to meet friends and have an amazing experience before you officially begin your first year!

How do I purchase a parking permit?

Fall parking permits will be available in Mid-August, please monitor the Parking Services website for details.

How is my housing assigned?

Your housing assignment will be determined by your LLC theme. You indicate which LLC you want to participate in on your Freshman Advising Questionnaire, so it is important to submit the questionnaire before your housing application. To access the online housing application, go to the MySanDiego portal. Under the "New Student" tab, you will find the housing application in the "MyHousing" channel. The online application will be available on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 (at 10 AM). Please visit Residential Life for more information about first-year housing.

Can I request a roommate?

Part of the housing application includes providing information about your personal, academic, and social preferences in your living environment. Residential Life uses that information to create roommate matches for all first-year students. Therefore, you do not choose your roommate yourself.

Although first year students cannot select roommates, we use advanced software to find the most compatible person possible within your LLC theme. Also, we work very closely with our Resident Assistants to offer a directed conversation and Roommate Agreement Packets to be completed at the beginning of the semester to ensure all roommates can begin forming great relationships.

If you are uncomfortable with your roommate situation, you can request a change with Housing within the first two weeks of arrival. However, changes are not guaranteed. Please read for more information on the room change request process.

I can't find the answer to my question, how do I find someone to contact?

First of all, thank you for taking the time to find the answer online. We work very hard to make sure the information you need is available to you! Click here for a listing of offices around campus that will be able to answer any remaining questions you might have!