Faculty Advising Resources

All of the forms required by the Dean’s Office or the Office of the Registraror through the One Stop Services tab in the MySanDiego portal.

Video Tutorial: Registrar's Forms  

Add/Drop Forms

  • Override limit: Requires instructor’s signature and does not need Dean’s signature prior to the add/drop deadline. Student takes completed form to One Stop Center. For Honors courses, override limits need a signature from the instructors and the Honors ProgramDirector.
  • Override pre-requisites: Requires instructor’s signature and does not need Dean’s signature prior to the add/drop deadline. Student takes completed form to OneStop Center.
  • Please note, faculty can enter a preapproval or override for students into their courses through the online system on the Teach/Advise tab. 

Preapproval and Override Instructions

  • Upper Division: Requires instructor’s signature and does not need Dean’s signature prior to the add/drop deadline. Student takes completed form to One Stop Center. Upper division Honors courses require a signature from the instructor and the Honors Program Director.
  • Late Add (after the add/drop deadline): Requires instructor’s signature and Dean’s signature. Student drops off form with instructor’s signature in Dean’s office. Once processed, the form is then routed to the One Stop Center.
  • Overload: Requires Dean’s signature, and the signature of the Honors Program Director if it is an Honors course. Student drops off form in Dean’s Office. Once processed, theform is then routed to the One Stop Center. Note, there is additional per unit cost for overloads beyond 18 units. 
  • Late drop of a class without a ‘W’ (after add/drop deadline) or with a ‘W’ (after withdrawal deadline): Requires Dean’s signature and Honors Program Director for Honors courses. Student drops off form in Dean’s office.
  • Independent study form: Requires faculty supervisor, department chair and Dean’s signatures and the signature of the Honors Program Director for courses that will count for Honors in a student’s major.
  • Substitution of degree requirements and waiver of residency- Require department chair and Dean’s signature. For waiver of residency, requires signature of student’s declared major departmental chair. Student drops off the form in the Dean’s office.
  • Summer and Intersession course overload forms are needed if students want to take more than one class per session.


Pre-USD form

Petition to transfer of credit

Academic Integrity Policy

The Academic Integrity Policy (4.8) applies to Arts and Sciences and outlines procedures and sanctions.

Academic Integrity Policy 

Note: Access to this link requires a valid MySanDiego username and password.

Academic Integrity Worksheet

Competency Examinations

Students who wish to fulfill specific competency requirements for graduation may do so by taking Competency Examinations administered by the Departments of Languages, Cultures and Literatures, English, Mathematics and Philosophy.  The dates for these examinations are announced in the Academic Calendar

Academic Calendars

Students should pay their fees at the Cashier’s Office (Hughes 211) and take their receipt to the department running the exam. Here they can also obtain information on the location/time of the exam and how the results will be made available to them. A copy of the exam results are sent to the Dean’s office and to the Registrar. No academic credit will be given for these examinations.

Language: Placement Tests

Second Language-Before enrolling for the first time in one of the languages offered at USD, students must go through an evaluation of their current skills in the language they want to study. Evaluation results will “place” the student in the most appropriate level of language class. Students can then enroll in a class section for the course.

For more information about the Language Placement Exams, go to the Languages, Cultures and Literatures website. 

Language: Online Placement Exam

To continue language study at USD (or at any other colleges or universities if planning to transfer credits), all students must take the Language Placement Exam. Please note:

  • Placement results are valid only for the academic year in which they are obtained.
  • The Language Placement Exam may only be taken once without the express consent of the Director of Placement or the Department Chair of Languages, Cultures and Literatures.
  • The exam is a diagnostic tool: students should not study for it; students should not receive any outside assistance.
  • All Language Placement Exams (except Ancient Greek) are online. Please visit the Language Placement Exam website to access these exams. To take the exam in your language of choice, read the declarations, scroll to the bottom of the page, and press "take the placement exam."

Langauge: Waiver Versus Exam

To study a language as a beginner, students will request a Waiver of Placement to enroll in a 101 course. If they have obtained a Waiver of Placement, please do not take a Language Placement Exam.

If students are familiar with a language or have studied it in any classroom, they should take the Language Placement Exam. They should not use dictionaries, notes, or outside sources, as they will want to be placed accurately! If students are placed in a higher-level course based on your exam results, they  cannot register for any lower level courses.


  • Students are placed into Math classes based on their SAT/ACT scores, however If they are not satisfied with their SAT/ACT results and would like to be placed in a higher-level math course, they should take the placement exam. Students should visit the Math Placement site to decide which exam to take and how to prep for the exams.  Note students should study for the placement exam, as indicated through the link and they can take a lower-level math class than the one they are eligible to be placed into.
  • The math requirement for students depends on their major, but if students are uncertain as to what major they want to pursue, Math 115 (College Algebra) is more flexible than Math 112 (Investigations in Modern Mathematics). For students who are certain that they will not go into one of the majors where Math 115 or higher is required, Math 112 can be an attractive alternative to Math 115, as it covers interesting topics they may not have learned before, such as mathematics of voting, encryption, and games of chance.

Center for Student Success (CSS)

University Center 114

The CSS offers Student Success Coaching where professional staff and peer advisors are available to meet with any undergraduate student experiencing challenges at USD that impact academic performance and persistence.

The CSS also processes undergraduate leave of absence requests as well as undergraduate withdrawals.

Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Phone: (619) 260-5995

CSS Website


Center for Wellness and Health Promotion

Hahn University Center   161

The Center for Wellness and Health Promotion serves the USD community through educational opportunities, outreach events, individual and group services, campus-wide programs, and research initiatives to enhance student wellness.

Center for Health and Wellness Promotion Website 

Counseling Center

Serra Hall  300

Consistent with the University of San Diego’s philosophy of developing the whole person, the Counseling Center’s core purposeis to enhance the emotional, relational, and psychological well-being of students. They strive to facilitate students’ personal growth and enhance theiracademic success through accessible, culturally congruent clinical and outreach services. They work in collaboration with other Wellness and university departments and community partners.

The easiest way to secure services is by referring students to the center during walk-in hours, but initial appointments can also be arranged by phone.

Phone: (619)-260-4655

Counseling Center Website


One Stop Student Center

University Center 126 

The One Stop welcomes all students who need assistance with their registration, student account or financial aid. Its mission is to consolidate the business transactions of the Financial Aid, Registrar and Student Accounts offices into one location.

Hours of operation: Monday- Friday, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Phone: (619) 260- 2700 

One Stop Website 

Disability and Learning Difference Resource Center (DLDRC)

Serra Hall 300

The DLDRC  is committed to helping students with disabilities obtain meaningful academic accommodations and support andto help improve access to the many excellent programs and activities offered by the University.

Their services include evaluating disability documentation, arranging academic accommodations and providing disability management/counseling to students with disabilities. 

Disability and Learning Difference Resource Center Website

Only courses for which grades D or F were received may be repeated for credit. Only one repetition is permitted unless authorized in writing by the Dean’s office. On course repetitions, the units are applied toward a degree only once, but the grade assigned at each enrollment shall be permanently recorded (ie the grade of D or F is replaced with the repeat grade). A course in which grades D or F were assigned may not be repeated on a pass/fail basis.

In computing the grade point average of an undergraduate student who repeats courses in which a D or F was received, only the most recently earned grades and grade points shall be used for the first 10 units repeated. When courses are repeated by transfer work, the lower grade will be removed from the USD grade point average and credit for the course will be given without grade points. In the case of further repetitions, the grade point average shall be based on all grades assigned and total units attempted. The student should notify the registrar when a course is repeated so that adjustment of the cumulative grade point average, if necessary, may be done promptly.

Students who earn a grade other than D or F that is unacceptable, for legal reasons, in a specific course or program may also repeat that course as outlined above, but this requires then permission of the Dean’s office

Students in good academic standing, that is, with a grade point average of 2.0 at USD, may elect to enroll for courses on the pass/fail plan. All students who wish to exercise the pass/fail option must have prior authorization from their advisor. Courses taken at other institutions and transferred to USD for unit credit only are not considered to fall under the pass/fail option. Note the deadline announced in the academic calendar for changing a course to the pass/fail option or vice-versa. No changes will be made after this date. The following regulations apply:

  1. Lower-division students must have successfully completed at least 12 units at this university.
  2. If the course is part of a regular semester, the student must be enrolled in at least nine other units on a regular grading basis.
  3. Students may take no more than one course per academic term and no more than two courses per academic year on a pass/fail basis. (Courses offered exclusively on a pass/fail basis for all students are not counted in arriving at the limit.).
  4. Major courses (and courses in the preparation for the major) are excluded unless the course is only offered on a pass/fail basis and the major requires at least 24 upper-division units that must be taken on a regular grading basis. A maximum of 6 units of such pass/fail coursework may be applied to a major, including both preparation and major courses.
  5. Courses required for any state teaching credential are excluded.
  6. Certain advanced or highly specialized courses may be excluded by departments acting in concert.
  7. Research and reading courses, performance and independent study courses, and courses not lending themselves to specific grading practices may, by determination of the faculty, be included.
  8. All courses designated as “activity” courses may be pass/fail (at faculty determination, not students).
  9. There will be no change from pass/fail to grade or vice-versa after the deadline listed in the academic calendar.
  10. The course, quiz, paper, examination and attendance requirements for pass/ fail students will be the same as for students receiving a letter grade.
  11. Pass requires a grade of C– grade or better.
  12. Pass does not affect grade point average; Fail does affect grade point average.
  13. A course taken on a pass/fail basis may only be repeated as a pass/fail course.
  14. A course in which a grade of D or F is received may not be repeated on pass/ fail basis, but may be repeated for a grade.
  15. For first honors or second honors consideration, 12 semester units must be earned in fall or spring semesters in which traditional grades are issued.
  16. A student wishing to major in a field in which he or she previously earned pass/fail credit may, with departmental permission, select another course to fulfill the requirement.
  17. A maximum of 15 pass/fail units at USD is applicable to the fulfillment of degree requirements. However, in the Electrical Engineering (EE), Industrial & Systems Engineering (ISyE) and Mechanical Engineering (ME) majors, pass/fail is not permitted in any required (by title) course.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (sometimes referred to as the Buckley Amendment), is a federal law that protectsthe privacy of education records of all students enrolled in schools beyond the high school level. Schools are required tomaintain that privacy, primarily by restricting release of recordsand the access provided to those records. Anyeducational institution that receivesfunds under any program administered by the U.S. Secretary of Educationis bound by FERPA requirements. Institutions that fail to comply with FERPA may have funds administered by the Secretaryof Education withheld.

FERPA Website

Please note, the FAQ section (FERPA Issues for Faculty) contains information on posting class grades,accessing student records and what to do if parents call requesting information.

For students that have started USD in Fall 2014 or later, faculty may access the FERPA information about students in the “FERPA Portlet” on the “USD Services” portion of the “Employee” tab of my.sandiego.edu.

Final examinations are held in all courses at the end of each semester. Dates and schedules for the final examinations are not to be changed without the approval of the appropriate Dean. Exceptions for individual students can be made at the discretion of the instructor. In such cases, the Dean will support an instructor’s decision to allow, or not to allow, an exception for any given student. In Fall and spring semesters, examinations are limited during the week prior to final examinations. There may be no major examinations; minor quizzes are permitted as long as they are listed on syllabi at the beginning of a semester and do not count for more than 10 percent of the course grade. Laboratory practica, papers, oral reports, and make-up examinations are permitted. Students are responsible for class attendance and material presented during the week before final examinations.

Final Examination schedules for Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, and Leadership and Education Sciences courses can be found on the MySanDiego portal (Teach/Advise or One Stop Services tabs).


The instructor’s/professor’s judgment is presumed to be correct. Therefore, the burden of qualifying a grievance rests with the student. Thus, at every level in the proposed grievance procedures this “presumption” should be understood by all participants. It is assumed that grievances will be resolved by the instructor and student. Grading criteria, requirements, content, etc. are established by the instructor. The presumption is that students have been given ample opportunity for clarification of class requirements at the beginning of a given course.

The procedure for a grade grievance is:

  1. Initial grade/grievance must be addressed to the instructor in the course.
  2. In those rare circumstances when noagreement is reached in phase 1, the student may seek advice from the department.
  3. If the matter is not satisfactorily settled at phase 2, the student then may seek advice from the Dean who will refer the matter to a standing faculty committee (i.e., academic affairs).
  4. The committee will hear the student’s grievance and make its recommendations to the parties. At every level in this grievance procedure, the instructor must be apprised of the situation.

Grade Grievance Form


Adopted by the College of Arts and Sciences of the University of San Diego, March 11, 2008.


The University of San Diego sponsors intercollegiate athletic programs.

Participants in these programs are bound to the same standard of academic excellence expected of all undergraduate students. To ensure this standard, the University recruits and enrolls student-athletes who have the intellectual abilities necessary to succeed in the classroom and obtain a baccalaureate degree.

Since the pursuit of both academic and athletic excellence is a time-intensive activity, it is inevitable that student-athletes will face conflicts between their class and athletic schedules. The purpose of this policy is to set forth principles and procedures aimed at reducing conflicts, negotiating those that remain unavoidable, and ensuring both the integrity of the academic process as well as the just treatment ofstudent-athletes.


  1. In accord with NCAA and USD’s conference regulations, the athletics program will take every measure to minimize the number of classes student-athletes must miss due to athletic
  2. Athletic Supervisors and Coaches will take the academic calendar andschedule into account when scheduling athletic contests, practices and team 
  3. No practice session or team meeting may be scheduled during mandatory orientation sessions
  4. No student-athlete may absent him/herself from class to attend a practicesession (NCAA Rule1.6.6.1)
  5. When an athletic competition takes place at USD (i.e, a ‘home-game’), no student- athlete is authorized to be absent from any class prior to two hours before the scheduled start of the competition.
  6. Student-athletes will not be penalized academically when they miss a class due to inter-collegiate athletic competition. However, certain academic activities which cannot be rescheduled or which comprise a core component of the course (e.g. field trips) demand the student-athletes’ presence. These academic activities must be identified on the course syllabus as “mandatory for all”.
  7. Authorized absences for official athletic competitions do not relieve student- athletes of their class responsibilities. They are responsible for any course material covered during a missed class.
  8. Faculty should indicate on the course syllabus, available to students on the first day of class, the dates of all major exams, due dates for paper or project submissions, and dates of field trips and other mandatory class-related activities. Faculty retain the right to announce adjustments to a syllabus during the


  1. In the first week of class, preferably by the end of the first class, student-athletes must give each of their professors a copy of the ‘travel letter’ issued by the Athletic department which details the anticipated missed class dates for the student-athlete.
  2. Student-athletes are responsible to review the syllabus, note potential conflicts, bring them to the attention of their professors and request reasonable accommodations in the event of missed quizzes, exams and assignments.
  3. The faculty member will determine the accommodations which shall neither penalize the student-athlete nor unfairly advantage or disadvantage him/her relative to other students. In the case of missed quizzes or exams, a faculty member may choose to have the quiz or exam administered and proctored through the Athletics program. 
  4. The process of negotiating accommodations should be concluded within thefirst ten days of the semester.
  5. Faculty should take into consideration the schedules of student-athletes when scheduling graded activities that are in addition to those already listed on the syllabus.
  6. In the event that there is a conflict between missed class dates and core academic activities which cannot be avoided or resolved, the student-athlete shall immediately contact his/her academic advisor.
  7. No faculty member is obligated to excuse a student-athlete in the case of excessive absences. If, in the judgment of a faculty member and after sincere efforts to reach agreement about course work and expectations, the number of missed classes projected would jeopardize the student-athlete’s successful completion of the course, the faculty member may recommend that the student-athlete enroll in another course where fewer scheduling conflicts would occur. 
  8. If a student-athlete is advised to select another course, he/she may ask for assistance from the Dean’s office in order to find a course that will incur fewer conflicts.


Approved by the Academic Assembly, March 11, 2008

Approved by Dean Nicholas Healy April 22, 2008. Effective September 1, 2008.


Each year, class reservation begins on or about November 1st for the following Spring semester and April 1st for the following Fall semester. A directory of classes is made available online through the MySanDiego portal (select the Teach Advise tab) prior to the class reservation period. Dates for when students are eligible to register can also be found through the Teach Advise tab. Students can add classes to their schedule using the online Banner system (accessed by the My Academics tab through the MySanDiego portal). After the Add/Drop deadline, students can only add courses with the approval of the instructor and the Deans’ Offices.

Registration, which includes payment of tuition and fees if not already completed, must take place prior to the deadline on the Academic Calendar or a late fee will be assessed.

Questions regarding registration can be directed to the One Stop Student Center, in the UC 126, by phone (619) 260 2700, or via e-mail onestop@sandiego.edu

Dropping a Course

Students may drop a course during the first eight class days of a semester through the MySanDiego portal. Courses dropped during this time period do not appear on the student’s transcript. Withdrawing from a course after the first eight days of class in the semester, without risk of academic penalty, will be allowed until the end of the tenth week of the semester. Withdrawal within that time limit will be recorded as a W. After that date there is no possibility of withdrawal; the student will receive a grade for the course.

Note, for all deadlines, please refer to the Academic Calendar

A grade of W will not enter into the computation of the GPA. Unofficial withdrawal from a course results in a grade of F.

As aregistration aid for students, the University of San Diego offers a computerized record of their academic progress. It shows courses completed and those yet to be completed by individual students within each undergraduate program.

Degree Works is an advising tool, an unofficial "road map," to keep students informed of their required and optional coursework and other degree requirements. The audit is automatically updated each semester, showing courses completed, grades earned, GPAs and other useful information.

The audit is of considerable value in planning and monitoring degree progress and students should refer to this before beginning the class reservation process each semester or at any time by going to the My Academics tab on their MySanDiego portal (Registration Channel). Faculty may access Degree Works through the Teach/Advise tab in their MySanDiego portal (‘Faculty Tools’ channel)

Students can also access these video tutorials through their My Academics tab on the portal.

One Stop Video Tutorials

Video Tutorial: Top Five Things to Know about Degree Works


A student who will not be registered at the university during a regular semester, but would like to return without applying for readmission, must request a leave of absence by the last day to enroll in classes for that semester. Students must file the official Undergraduate Student Leave of Absence form with the Center for Student Success located in the University Center, Room 114. The form is available in the Center for Student Success.

To incur no tuition charges, students should request a leave of absence before the first day of classes. The request must state the reason for which the leave is requested and the semester in which the student will again register at the university. Requests for leaves of absence must be approved by the Center for Student Success. Leaves of absence are granted for a maximum of two consecutive semesters.

To request an undergraduate leave of absence, students should visit the Center for Student Success between 9am-5 pm, Monday-Friday in University Center, Room 114. They should bring their USD ID card and allow approximately 15-20 minutes to complete the required form and for the processing of their request

Request for a Voluntary Medical Leave

USD students may apply for a Voluntary Leave of Absence (a separation of the student from the university) for Medical Reasons (MLOA). MLOAs are coordinated through the units at the Wellness Area (Center for Health and Wellness Promotion, Counseling Center, and Student Health Center). MLOAs are recommended when a student’s medical or psychological condition is judged to significantly impair his or her ability to function successfully or safely as a student. If a student has completed enough course work to qualify for "incompletes" that option will be explored with proper advising, but once a medical leave is approved incompletes are not an option.  It is expected that the time a student takes away from the university on medical leave will be used for treatment and recovery. It should be understood that most students require a minimum of one full semester away from USD, and participation in appropriate treatment to recover their health sufficiently to be able to obtain the requisite medical clearance to pursue re-enrollment.

Obtaining a MLOA

In order to obtain a MLOA you must obtain a recommendation from a Wellness Unit professional.  Before a Wellness Unit professional makes this recommendation, you will need to complete a Request for MLOA.  

Returning to USD after a MLOA

In order to return from a MLOA, you must obtain a recommendation from a Wellness Unit professional.  Before a Wellness Unit professional makes this recommendation, you will need to complete a Medical Leave of Absence Reinstatement Form as well as a Community Provider Report Form and return to the Wellness Unit you submitted your MLOA request to. The Wellness Unit will communicate with the dean’s office, and the dean’s office will then determine if a reinstatement can be approved.


Additional Resources

Student Checklist for Returning from a MLOA

A student withdrawing from the university during a semester or for a future semester must file an official Undergraduate Student Withdrawal Form with the Center for Student Success located in the University Center, Room 114. Forms are available in the Center for Student Success.

A student whose registration at the university is interrupted for one or more semesters must apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar, unless a leave of absence has been granted in writing.

To request an undergraduate leave of absence, students should visit the Center for Student Success between 9 am-5 pm Monday-Friday in University Center, Room 114. They should bring their USD ID card and allow approximately 15-20 minutes to complete the required form and for the processing of their request

Please contact the Center for Student Success (6190 260-5995 with any questions regarding undergraduate leave of absences and withdrawals

Undergraduate students should petition to graduate one full year prior to their graduation ceremony in order to have time to receive confirmation from the Registrar's office that they can fulfill all requirements for the Bachelors degree and schedule courses appropriately. The petition to graduate online form is located on the senior tab that appears on a student’s Portal once they have completed 90 units. Petition deadlines are  published in the Undergraduate Course Catalog.

Please note, Seniors graduating in August may participate in the previous May ceremony, provided that: 1) they take their remaining courses in USD's Summer Session; and 2) they have registered (including payment) in USD's Summer Session for their remaining courses by May 1, and have given to the Registrar's Officewritten evidence of such completed registration.

The link to change a grade after the published deadline or to submit a grade for the removal of an Incomplete can be found within the teach/advise tab of the portal. This form is located under the “Advising Resources” channel. Once this form is submitted, it will be forwarded electronically to the Registrar’s Office who will manually update the student’s record. This process can take 2-3 days.