Policies of the Department of Ethnic Studies
Please be aware of the following policies of the Department of Ethnic Studies.
Ethnic Studies Program Independent Study Policy
In an effort to support our program's standing curriculum, it is the policy of Ethnic Studies to NOT approve independent study request.
Exceptions will be made only when each of the following criteria are met:
- Supervising professor's consent.
- Paperwork is completed and approved by both supervising professor and program chair.
- Completed paperwork is filed at the Registrar's Office at least 30 days before the start of the semester in which the Independent Study takes place.
Ethnic Studies Program Letter of Recommendation Policy
A letter of recommendation is important, professional statement. Therefore, all students who wish to obtain a letter of recommendation from Ethnic Studies faculty members must take the following steps:
- Prepare a packet with the following:
- Academic record (DARS printout)
- Writing sample
- Personal statement
- List of places/programs/organizations where applications will be sent
- Explanation of why the professor you're asking is a good candidate to write a letter (you should have at least an A- in all classes taken with the professor)
- Give the packet to the professor at least two weeks before the letter/application due date.
- Follow up with the professor one week before the due date.
General recommendations for facilitating letters of recommendation