English Major Requirements
Download and use our worksheet: English Major Requirements
English majors must complete 39 units in the department, 12 from the lower division and 27 from the upper division. The basic requirements are as follows:
- ENGL 222 Poetry
- ENGL 280 Introduction to Shakespeare
- Two lower-division electives from ENGL 223, 224, 225, 228
- ENGL 300 British Literature to 1800
- Eight upper-division electives, from courses numbered in the 300s and 400s. Among these eight electives, majors are required to take:
- one W course
- one course in literature before 1660
- one course in literature from 1660 – 1900
- one course in literature from 1900 – present
- Literature before 1660 can be fulfilled by: ENGL 310, 312, 314, 324, 326, 328.
- Literature from 1660 to 1900 can be fulfilled by: ENGL 332, 334, 336, 342, 344, 348, 352, 355.
- Literature from 1900 to the present can be fulfilled by: ENGL 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 362, 364, 366, 368, 370.
- W Courses fulfill the Core Curiculum upper division Written Literacy requirement. Offerings vary, and are marked by a W (e.g. 332W). Majors may not fulfill the requirement with 304W or 306W. The course may satisfy both the W and a distribution requirement simultaneously.
Recommended Program of Study
Fulfill the lower-division requirements in the freshman and sophomore years. Take ENGL 300 early in the major, preferably before more specialized courses. It is recommended that students preparing for graduate work in English take ENGL 380 and 495.
For more information see the Undergraduate Bulletin or consult your academic advisor.