Sigma Tau Delta, English Honor Society
Who we are, what we do, and why you should join!
Sigma Tau Delta (STD) is the International English Honors Society. The USD chapter is Alpha Nu Mu. STD is dedicated to community involvement, cultural exchange and engagement, promoting fellowship, and the intellectual pursuit of knowledge. We try to live up to these ideals through action with our events each semester. STD has a number of events including editing round-tables, literary movie nights, a Christmas party and we hope to organize a major book drive during the 2012-2013 school year! Next year we hope to restart our writing competition for all students: a critical essay competition. In 2009 we hosted a banquet for all Honors Societies to raise money for a charity, and sent a group of students to present papers at the International English Honors Society Conference.
With these events in mind we invite you to apply to become part of this amazing community of bookworms and writers alike!
- Must be majoring or minoring in English
- Must have completed at least 2 courses beyond English 121
- Must have a 3.4 or above in English courses
- Must have a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student
- Must apply at least one semester before graduation
- Must be engaged in the society's activities in a meaningful way
Dues and the Application Process:
Candidates for membership must fill out the application form (click below) and write a 250-word essay explaining why they chose to study English and what goals they have as Sigma Tau Delta members. Please leave your completed application in Sigma Tau Delta's mailbox in the English department office, located in Founders 174. Once accepted, members pay a one-time fee of $80 for their international membership fee and local chapter dues.
- A membership certificate and lapel pin
- Lifetime membership in Sigma Tau Delta
- Wear an honor cord and/or stole with your graduation robe
- A one-year semi-annual subscription to the newsletter
- A one-year subscription to The Rectangle, Sigma Tau Delta’s yearly literary publication
- List Sigma Tau Delta on your resume
- Apply for scholarship, internship, and writing award opportunities
- Submit papers for possible publication in The Rectangle (The official Sigma Tau Delta publication)
- Apply for the opportunity to serve on an International Board of Directors as a Student Advisor or Student Representative
- Submit papers or a panel discussion for possible presentation at the annual international conference
- AND the ability to join USD students with similar interests in creating, planning, and attending exciting events!
The Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony will be held on Friday, May 9, 2014, at 5:30pm in the French Parlor, Founders Hall. New members will be inducted, and graduating seniors will be presented with their stoles for commencement. Friends and family are welcome! For more info on this event, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sigma Tau Delta co-sponsored the English Dept Career Night, held on Tuesday, March 25, 2014, for English majors & minors, Interdisciplinary majors, Undeclared majors, and any other interested students. Guest panelists Ebony Tyree, Valerie Attisha, Madison Levine, and Paul Davis, all USD English major alums, spoke about their careers, the value of the English major, and advice for the first year after graduation. Look for future events!
Sigma Tau Delta welcomed fellow literary lovers (members and non-members) for a couple hours of folly at San Diego’s Original Shakespeare Pub & Grille on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013. Shakespeare Pub & Grille is at: 3701 India St., San Diego, CA 92103, 619-299-0230. For more information, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- During the 2012-2013 academic year, the Alpha Mu Nu Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta hosted a creative writing student reading, and collaborated with The Writing Center on a book drive. The chapter was pleased to welcome fifteen (15) new members during the 2012-2013 academic year!
- The 2012-2013 Induction Ceremony was held on Friday, May 3, 2013. A total of fifteen (15) new members were inducted and fifteen (15) Seniors were presented their stoles for graduation. Prof. Brad Melekian gave the keynote address. To read his speech, please click on the following link: Brad Melekian keynote speech.
- The 2011-2012 Induction Ceremony was held on Friday, May 4, 2012, where eight new members were inducted, and four graduating seniors were presented their stoles for commencement. The keynote speech was given by Jericho Brown, PhD, Department of English. To read his speech, please click on the following link: Jericho Brown keynote speech.
- Check out the album of pictures from the Sigma Tau Delta "Literary Night Party" on February 9, 2009, where members dressed up as favorite literary characters.
- Creative Writing Competition - Winner's work is presented in the Vista: Creative writing winning entry by Mallory Christianson.
Link to International Web site: www.english.org
Atreyee Phukan, PhD
Department of English