Second Year Students
Every student follows a different path during their college years. We suggest a general action plan for you to tailor to your individual interests throughout your four years at the University of San Diego. These activities will help you gain a better understanding of your career options and prepare you for making decisions about employment or graduate/professional school. Career Services is here to provide assistance to all students every step of the way.
- Meet with a career counselor to explore major and career options
- Get more involved in campus activities. Sharpen your leadership and teamwork skills through further involvement in student organizations
- Volunteer, either through course-based service-learning, the Mulvaney Center for Community, Service, and Social Action, or University Ministry.
- Research potential majors and occupations on the Career Development Center website such as the Occupational Outlook Handbook and What Can I Do With This Major?
- Attend Torero Talent Job and Internship Fair
- Check Career Center event website for workshops and speakers
- Attend alumni panels
- Create LinkedIn profile
- Participate in volunteer and research opportunities
- Explore graduate school options by talking with faculty and researching programs online.
- Attend the Sophomore Half-Time Retreat
- Search for part-time jobs or summer internships in your field on ToreroLink
- Explore academic research opportunities with faculty members and the Office of Undergraduate Research
- Introduce yourself to professionals presenting in your classes or student organizations; collect business cards and follow up with thank-you notes or requests for short informational meetings
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in a field of interest
Career Development Center
Manchester Hall 101
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 260-4654
Fax: (619) 260-2270
Manchester Hall 101 (Main Hub)
- M-F: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Drop-Ins: 11 a.m. - 12 p.m., 3 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Olin 141 & 143 (School of Business)
- M-F: 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
- Drop-Ins: 9 a.m. -11 a.m., 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.*
- *check weekly schedule
Serra 207 & 223 (College of Arts and Sciences)
- 11 a.m. - 12 p.m., 2 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Loma 210 (School of Engineering)
- 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.