How can I be successful in an internship? The short response to this question is “plan, and remain flexible.” In terms of planning, here are some elements that you will want to address prior to starting your internship:
- If applicable, understand what requirements must be met to receive academic credit for this experience.
- Clarify your objectives for this internship.
- Meet with your internship supervisor to address key issues.
- Follow up on your meeting with a memo or some other document to clarify agreements.
- While interning, go beyond the basics—volunteer for increased responsibilities.
- While interning, be professional.
- End your internship with a successful conclusion.