Campus Recreation often has part-time jobs available. Check this page frequently to see the latest updates.
Background Check Process
Please note that all offers of employment (both student employees and non-student employees) are contingent upon completing and passing a required background check. The offer of employment may be discontinued at any time if the background check conditions are not met
Available Part Time Positions
Summer Lifeguard/Youth Swim Instructors (Summer, 2013)
*Note: All applicants must be both lifeguard certified and WSI certified.
Position Description: Teach swimming lessons to youth ages 3 - 13 years of age. Follow the American Red Cross swim lesson protocol and award cards upon completion of class. Teach children 3-5 yrs at the Tot 1, 2, 3, and 4 levels and youth classes 5 yrs and over at the indicated American Red Cross levels. Class size varies from (tot: 3 students) to Advanced Swimmer/Skills (7-10 students). Class length is 30-minutes with 15-minutes between classes. Instructors are required to teach from in the water for tot classes and levels 1-3 of the American Red Cross series. Some life guarding responsibilities during classes also required. All instructors are also required to guard including: supervise pool deck area and lifeguard 25 yard x 40 yard college swimming pool, responsible for safety of pool patrons, enforce pool usage policies during open swim and during reserved usage time, and secure facility during non-usage time.
Instructor and Guard Qualifications:
Lifeguard and WSI (or equivalent) current certification (this should include a current CPR/First Aid/AED certification) *Note: all applicants must be BOTH LG and WSI certified in order to apply.
- Acceptable past swim lesson instruction experience (children)
- Proactive as well as reactive life guarding skills.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures for swimming pools.
- Ability to communicate, instruct, and supervise children in the lesson program and all patrons in the surrounding pool area
- Ability to make prudent decisions, work effectively with fellow staff members and evaluate as well as correct safety issues that may affect the health/safety of students
- Friendly, outgoing, caring, responsible, reliable and able to work without direct supervision
- Ability to commit to the entire duration of the summer schedule (8-weeks)
- Ability to commit to training/orientation on varied days between June 10-15th, 2013 between the hours of 9am-5pm.
Hours & Schedule:
Hours vary (this is a 25-37.5 hour per week position). Hours depend on the success of the program and class scheduling. We will cancel classes with low enrollment.
General schedule may include the following:
- Monday-Thursday: 9:30am-7:00pm (range of shifts 4 to 7.5 hours available in this time frame)
- Friday-Sunday: 9:45am-6:15pm
All shifts will be split between guarding and teaching. All staff is required to work some weekend shift between 9:45am-6:15pm.
Employment Dates: June 10 - Aug 11, 2013 (must be available to work the entire duration)
Application Process: Send resume and 3 professional references to the below listed contact:
-Serena Boyd, Recreation Programs Manager, at email@example.com, (619) 260-7751.
Resumes accepted until all positions are filled.
Recreation Fitness Class Instructors (Spring 2013)
Instruct recreation and/or fitness classes in the Campus Recreation department. Develop class syllabus and lesson plans. Record and submit student attendance, mid-term and final grades. Maintain a safe and healthy instructional environment. Ability to effectively communicate, demonstrate and instruct the skills required of the listed course.
- Past teaching experience in the related field you are applying for
- Fitness instruction certification
- CPR/First aid certificate
- Personal fitness level necessary for teaching the assigned course
Pay is set at $20/hour.
Instructors needed for Spring 2013 (please do NOT apply for the listed positions if you cannot do the listed days/time. We CANNOT change class days/times).
- We are currently not hiring
Please do not apply for a position if you cannot do the listed days/times.
We do not hold resumes for future positions.
To apply, please send your resume along with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intramural Sports Officials
USD IM Sports is hiring sports officials for the Fall 2010 Intramural season. We have openings in football, soccer, volleyball, softball, and basketball. No officiating experience is necessary, but knowledge of the sport is required. Paid training provided.
To apply, send your resume to email@example.com. Call 619-260-4275 for more information.
USD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references via an e-mail to the listed contact for the desired position.
Deadline for all Applications
Review of applications will begin immediately, and applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.