Subject Pool Marketing
Throughout the semester, marketing area faculty conduct a variety of marketing research studies to better understand consumers’ purchasing behavior. Since you are all consumers, the faculty would like your help in conducting their research.
Participating in a research study is a course requirement. You are required to do ONE of the following:
- Participate in two, 1-hour research sessions.
- Write a 7-8 page research paper reviewing a current marketing research article from one of these journals: Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, or the Journal of Advertising Research. If you choose to write a paper, please contact your professor for detailed instructions.
If you do not participate in two 1-hour research sessions OR write a journal article review, your overall course grade will be reduced by 1%..
All data collected during the research sessions will remain strictly confidential. Individual answers will not be retained in any file by respondents’ names and all analyses reported will involve summaries of anonymous respondents.
Creating an account
*Please note, this account is different from the one created for the "Marketing Simulation".
You must first create an account with the online registration system. Click here to create an account. After you create an account, you will be informed (via email) of specific research sessions in which you can participate.
You can create an account anytime between Monday, 1/27/2014 and Sunday, 2/9/2014 (no later than midnight).
After 2/9/2014, you WILL NOT be able to create an account and you WILL NOT be able to participate in any of the research studies. This means that you will have to write 7-8 page research paper in order to avoid a course grade reduction of 1%.
Please allocate up to 30 minutes to create an account. Follow the steps below:
- Visit: http://usd-sba.sona-systems.com
- Click on the "Request an account here" link on the lower left corner of the page.
- A. Fill out the information form in order to request your account. Please make sure that you provide an active email address. You may either use your personal or school email address. You will then receive your login password for the system.
- B. Select the course and section for which you want to get research credit. Once you have completed the initial sign-up, please save your User ID and Password for future use.
- C. At this point, the system will ask you a number of questions. Please answer them to the best of your ability. All of your responses are confidential.
Registering to participate in a specific study
Please note that creating an account does NOT count as participating in a research study.
Once a research session has been initiated, you will be sent an email informing you that a new study session has been posted. There may be multiple sessions posted. To sign up for a particular study session:
- Go to http://usd-sba.sona-systems.com/ and log in to your account.
- Click on "Study Sign-Up"
- Click on the name of the study
- Click on "View Time Slots for This Study"
- Check the available dates and times for research sessions and find a slot that you will be able to attend. (Most research sessions will be held during dead hours on Tuesdays or Thursdays or on select Fridays between 12:15-2:15).
- Click on the "Sign Up" button next to the slot that you chose.
- Note the time and place of the research session and make sure that you are there at the right time. Please show up at least five minutes prior to the start of the study. You must be on time or you will not be able to participate.
- You will receive a notification email including the session information.
After completion of the research study, your instructor will be informed that you have fulfilled the requirement for study participation and you will receive a confirmation email from the system verifying your participation.
While studies are held throughout the semester, we urge you to sign up for a study early. Don't wait until the last minute (e.g., right before finals) because studies do fill up and we have a limited number of slots available. Since you are asked to participate in two research sessions, we ask you, if possible, to please keep a one week gap between signing up for research sessions.
Tardiness: Please do not be late for the study. All sessions start at the time listed on the web sign-up page. If you arrive late to a session, you will not be allowed to participate and you will receive an "unexcused no show". Keep in mind that all sessions will start at the scheduled time according to the central time on the college web server. So, please try to arrive at the right location earlier than the exact time in order to avoid any time-related disagreements.
Rescheduling and cancellations: If you need to re-schedule or cancel a session for which you have already signed up, you can do so on the web site. Follow the instructions on the web page to cancel your registration and re-schedule for a new session.
Note: You must re-schedule or cancel your registration at least 24 hours before the research project is scheduled to take place (the system will not allow you to re-schedule or cancel within 24 hours of the study). If you have a last minute emergency (less than 24 hours before the study) and do not want to receive an unexcused absence, please email Dr. Aarti Ivanic (firstname.lastname@example.org) faculty contact and inform her of your emergency. If you fail to reschedule/cancel and you fail to attend the session, you will receive an "unexcused no show".
Unexcused No shows: Failure to show up or re-schedule on time means you will receive an "unexcused no show." Receiving an unexcused no show will allow you to sign up for only one more study in the future. An unexcused no show also means that your course grade will be reduced by 0.5%, regardless of whether or not you participate in a future study. If you do participate in a future study (i.e., have one unexcused absence, and one regular credit), your grade will be reduced by only 0.5% rather than the whole 1%. You always have the option to write the 7-8 page research paper in order to avoid having your course grade reduced by 1%.
Excused No Shows: If you have an unforeseen emergency (e.g., doctor, family emergency) you may contact the researcher and, with appropriate documentation, you will receive an "excused no-show". This will allow you to sign up for studies in the future.
If you have questions about the website or about the procedure of a study please contact Dr. Aarti Ivanic: email@example.com
The research paper is due no later than Friday, May 16th 2014 at midnight via email to Dr. Ivanic (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you choose not to participate in the studies, your requirement is to write a 7-8 page review paper on one of the articles below. Please click on the link below to get access to the journal article review requirements and the potential articles for review.