Additional Important Information for International Students


Office of International Students and Scholars

All international students must report to the Office of International Students and Scholars and bring their passport, visa page, I-94 card, and Form I-20 to complete their immigration file. If you are attending the University of San Diego with a visa other than the F-1 student visa, you must provide a copy of your visa status with your Graduate Admissions Application and report to the Office of International Services. The Office of International Students and Scholars is located in Serra Hall, Room 316. If you have immigration questions, contact this office at (619) 260-4678 or Fax (619) 260-4170. 

Visitor B Visa

If you enter the United States with a B-1 or B-2 visitor visa, you may need to return to your country and apply for an F-1 student visa.


You will need to indicate if you plan to bring dependents (a spouse and/or children) with you to the United States. Please include information on dependents accompanying you to the United States on the attached USD Certification of Finances form. Indicate if they will travel with you or if they plan to travel separate from you. Each of your family members will need their own Form I-20. Please provide their legal names, dates of birth, country of citizenship, country of birth and relationship to the F-1 visa holder in order to complete their Form I-20. 

Full-Time Status

It is a requirement of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services that all students studying on F-1 visas MUST register each semester for a MINIMUM OF 9 SEMESTER HOURS in a graduate program. The exception to this is if it is your last semester and you need less than 9 semester hours to complete your degree.

Student/Non-Degree Seeking Status

The University of San Diego limits graduate special students to 6 semester hours of coursework without being enrolled in a graduate program. Since the immigration requirement is a minimum of 9 semester hours, the university does not admit international students as special students.

Health Insurance

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students. It will be billed with your tuition. Please pick up health insurance plan information at the Office of International Services. The cost of health insurance for 2009-2010 is $858 for 12 months.

Inability to Attend

If you cannot enroll for the semester for which you have been admitted, please write to us immediately explaining your reasons. Also, let us know if you wish to transfer to the following semester so that we may take the appropriate action.

Contact Information

Graduate Admissions
Manchester Hall 205
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110

Phone: (619) 260-4524
Fax: (619) 260-4158

Office Hours

Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.